• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Nano Reef in Classroom

yea, I did not think about that. Maybe Zoas and Palys are a bad idea, thanks for the reminder.
I am considering to put a frag of a frogspawn because it will give life to the tank. But not yet still need it to cycle. Goni's and alveopora I do not know the trick to keeping them happy every other coral has not had a problem except those two.

That's true. They will work with the tank and inside but they will have gloves and other things. Sometimes you just do not know what will happen, so its best to be prepared.

Well if they are going to be workin in the tank alot of corals can cause reactions. Ive heard of a few who have gotten reactions from euphyllias, zoas, palys, almost everything. Especially if theres any chemical warefare. IMO dont let them put their hands in and stock it with anything you want. Or just make them wear thick gloves and always run carbon.

I have the following that I can donate.

1. Small 2" Occelaris Clown
2. Small Rocks and Macro Algae
3. Possibly a Nano Koralia with Magnet Mount
4. API test kit with Testing Supplies
5. Small Net
6. Random Tubing
7. Small RIO Pump
8. Via Reactor (needs Tubes and a Pump which I'm sure I can include)
9. Small Tunze pico powerhead

I'm in Trenton, NJ but I might be able to package everything and ship it to you (minus the clown).

Also -

My son might be getting tired of his bearded Dragon - we can take this to a PM if you want but

its a 6-7" bearded dragon With

Tank,Lights,Food,Decorations 100% turnkey if your class would be interested in him. Very well behaved and likes to be handled. His name is Goober.

I am 100% for supporting kids in the classroom and learning especially in Newark where they need every opportunity to learn and become interested.

The tank is self contained so its easy to transport over long vacations etc.

I have some disposable gloves I can donate. I will bring them to the meeting. I know you know this already, but please use tongs or something when working on the tank to enforce the idea of safety. Great start!!

I have a bangaii cardinal in my tank whos pair died. Hes cool and everything, but if you want it for youe classroom tank you can have him. Hes really peaceful and eats flakes and does his own thing. If you dont want him thats okay too, ill just keep it in my tank !

Goni's and alveopora I do not know the trick to keeping them happy every other coral has not had a problem except those two.

I can help there. There are actually several species of gonipora, and which species you buy can have a dramatic impact on your success or lack there of. There are species that live in tidal areas, and species that live on reefs. You are looking for the ones that like reef-like conditions. The ones that like tidal areas are much harder to keep. To boil it down, if you want to try to keep a goni, you need to find the gonis that thrive on the reef. ORA sells an aquacultured red goni, this is a great one to start with.
This is a great article on keeping Gonis.
We have a red toni from Spotter (thanks again!) that has thrived in our tank, and a stutchburyi in our frag tank that we have had for almost 2 years.

Alveopora I can't help with too much, I bought my first one about 4 months ago, and it is thriving but I don't have it down to a science yet I'm afraid.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have a cabbage leather coral I can donate and also a possible pair of clownfish. I will try to make the meeting this weekend to drop them off.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Kids and non-reefers tend to go for the 1) things with bright colors and 2) things that move or flow with the current. They would be more interested in GSP or a green hammer than a frag of Red Dragon.

I have GSP, Xenia, Colt, yellow polyps and green hammer. You can have any or all of them, just let me know.

There was another guy that started a tank in a HS, and I donated the same corals and the kids loved them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kids and non-reefers tend to go for the 1) things with bright colors and 2) things that move or flow with the current. They would be more interested in GSP or a green hammer than a frag of Red Dragon.

I have GSP, Xenia, Colt, yellow polyps and green hammer. You can have any or all of them, just let me know.

There was another guy that started a tank in a HS, and I donated the same corals and the kids loved them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

He is entirely correct.
You should be able to keep anything (and I do mean anything) under that light, so go ahead and pick out (1) the REALLY colorful stuff and (2) the LPS that moves a lot. If the Alveopora continues to do well, I'll frag a piece for you.
Just a thought- if you have time to set up a paypal donation site, I know I would love to help you maintain this tank. Would love to see something like that. $5 a month from 5 or 6 reefers goes a looooong way.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
+1

He is entirely correct.
You should be able to keep anything (and I do mean anything) under that light, so go ahead and pick out (1) the REALLY colorful stuff and (2) the LPS that moves a lot. If the Alveopora continues to do well, I'll frag a piece for you.
Just a thought- if you have time to set up a paypal donation site, I know I would love to help you maintain this tank. Would love to see something like that. $5 a month from 5 or 6 reefers goes a looooong way.

Great idea. I know I would be happy to donate a bit when possible. I can also donate a few frags when ready if we can coordinate a meet up.

Sorry to have not kept up to date with this thread. I was overwhelmed with the end of the marking period work. I wanted to thank NIkkiT, iTzJu, and Fish Brain, for the Lights, corals, and fish. The students were so excited when I put the fish finally into the tank. Everyday I have students asking questions and relaxing next to the tanks. It is an improvement in the classroom environment. We have had interesting discussions on sex changes in the clownfish which led to discussion about the formation of human babies, interestingly enough. I will continue to add the corals slowly into the tank and will update the pics and info.

I had a small crash in my main tank because I kept the fish outside and changed about 1/3 gallon of saltwater from my tank to their container, but I refilled my tank with RODI. I didn't realize the mistake I did until a few corals started to show signs. It is starting to get better. Still worth it for the class.

Tank looks great!
Glad you were able to rectify the problem with the main tank before it became a disaster.