• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Natureef Denitrifier

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Going on 8 weeks now without a water change. Nitrates are <5 as of this morning which is the lowest they have been. I continue to house 30-40 fish in the entire system between All the tanks and feed heavily each day. I will be dialing back the nitrate dose stage as I don't want to hit zero nitrates in the system. Acros and lps all continue to thrive with growth and coloration.

numegyne.jpg

Darren
Can you share what you are feeding your corals. I know you use a Calcium reactor so won't ask about dosing.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Darren
Can you share what you are feeding your corals. I know you use a Calcium reactor so won't ask about dosing.

Fish poop?

Ding ding ding!! Pete is correct. I used to dose zeovit additives, Elos AA's, but i have found them to be a waste of $$$.

IME high nutrient import through feeding the fish will feed your corals better then anything. The key is high nutrient export though a good skimmer, fuge, and the Natureef reactor. I also dose Potassium, Natureef Iron plus and Iodine plus. I also started using their Y2K Enzyme, which breaks down detritus and get all the "gunk" out of the rock work. So far I can honestly say that my tank is "cleaner"!!!

It is interesting how the perception of overstocking has shifted in the past few years. When I first got back into the hobby most recommended housing very few fish if you wanted to keep sps. Now there seems to be a better understanding that can lead to starved corals. I struggle to measure any nitrate or phosphate in my system to the point that I question my test kits. I guess I need more fish. :)

It is interesting how the perception of overstocking has shifted in the past few years. When I first got back into the hobby most recommended housing very few fish if you wanted to keep sps. Now there seems to be a better understanding that can lead to starved corals. I struggle to measure any nitrate or phosphate in my system to the point that I question my test kits. I guess I need more fish. :)

Mike...low nutrients and intense lighting like those amazing mh's you have up will lead to some of the issues you've been having recently. IMO and as stated here by Darren, the best way to feed your coral is thru feeding your fish! Now go get some fish for that huge tank man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I think thats probably why I saw some improvement when I started dosing acropower. My fish do get fed 5 or 6 times a day but there are only 15 in there and most are small. I loaded up my kayak tonight and am heading out fishing tomorrow night. Maybe I will bring home a 30 lb striper for the tank. :) Enough high jacking for now. Im interested to see how this system does over time and may implement it once my nutrient levels increase.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Its been close to 4 months now without a significant water change. Approx every 3 weeks I do change about 15 gallons from siphoning out detritus in the frag and display tank and vacuuming the cube, but that has been it.

This morning I actually tested ZERO nitrates on API and Elos test kits. I felt like my acros were loosing some color, so I believe this to be the reason. I will be dialing back the nitragone dose a bit and try and get some trace nitrates, as I do not want to be at zero. Certainly a good problem to have!!

Great news Darren! Have you figured out what this system costs you on a monthly basis in comparison to doing water changes?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very cool! For some of us, that initial investment cost seems pricey. But seeing Darren's tank in person and trusting the results he's getting... I'm beginning to believe that it really is worth it.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Great news Darren! Have you figured out what this system costs you on a monthly basis in comparison to doing water changes?

Not really Steve, but on a yearly basis I can do some rough estimates.

10 buckets Tropic Marin=$800
2 Buckets Rowa Phos=$300
Carbon $100-$150
Time and Convenience= PRICELESS

Natureef additves for the year approx $200

That's a huge savings. So you'll recover start up costs in the first yr. that's awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I’m going to jump on this thread as I am very interested in this process. As those who have followed my 45 build, I’m very much into doing the least amount possible to maintain the tank, and this process seems to be a way to reduce if not eliminate water changes. I also am becoming more conscience of the amount of water which is wasted during the RO making process as I don't have a good way to use the waste water. So I decided that with a new build coming up, and the tank broken down, it would be a good time to start experimenting with the Natureef system. While I could have done the DYI, I have enough going on in life now, I bought the system. It would be a fairly simple DYI with a controller.

So with my new temp tank running and doing well, I put the system on line to start the first cycle. I’ll first say the instructions which come with the system are HORRIBLE. Darren has been very patient and has been great as a resource as he has fielded countless questions by me. I will try to document as much as I have learned for others to get a better understanding and hopefully give back the time Darren has spent with me fielding questions. I can only hope to have a tank as beautiful as Darren's and maybe this will get me one step closer.

I've just finished my first cycle, so I'm still learning a lot. The knowledge of how the system works was the first hurdle, but I think I'm past that. I'll post some FAQ's when I get some time to document all I have learned.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
It's been a while since I updated this thread. Coming up on a year since I started running this system. NO3 and PO4 continue to be un-detectable. I am still not doing large water changes, besides occasionally 10-15 gallons as a result of siphoning sand from the 60 cube or detritus. Every type of coral in my tank is colorful and thriving more then I could imagine. I can honestly say this is the best my system has ever been running and the most I have ever enjoyed the hobby.

I've been running my Natureef Reactor almost 5 months now and love it! It has taken some adjustments because of user error :)mad:) but I feel that its really dialed in perfectly now! I think I've done 4 water changes in 5 months! This is really a great reactor and so easy to control.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Also chiming in, mine took a little time to get setup but that was again user error. Now it is running how it is supposed to and I am also at close to zero nitrates and phosphates. I do water changes now mostly to siphon detritus out and clean up some things. Very happy overall with it and I will get some pics up soon if I can remember.

I haven't updated in a while as I don't have a DT right now, but I have been keeping it running on my temporary set up and have not done any water changes in 5 months. I really think the salt industry got to be worried if this becomes more accepted. There are still a lot of skeptics out there, but given the way Darren's tank looks, the proof is there that it works and well. I can't wait till I get this running on my DT. Anyone try using RC racing fuel? The DYI link on RC uses it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
.................Anyone try using RC racing fuel? The DYI link on RC uses it.

Just make sure you are buying the fuel that is 100% methanol. Some RC fuels are nitromethane and also may contain oils. HERE is an example of a good RC fuel for your Natureef system.

EDIT TO ADD: Wow! HERE's a lifetime supply.