• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need a good suggestion for a stand for a 120 Gal

I need a good suggestion for a stand. I have an AGA 120 that I will use for a build in the future and I want to know my options for furniture.

1. I have no wood working skills or wood working tools

2. I like the glasscages.com style with the option for a side door so I can slide the sump in that way

3. It will house a sump and skimmer. Sump will most likely have a refuge

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you didn't start off with your #1, I might have suggested that you see how mine is coming along and try to build one yourself. It's certainly not easy though, especially when you don't have the proper tools.

I've gotten the framework all done for my 3 pieces (stand, canopy, and side cabinet) but I'm stuck at skinning it with the plywood and trim work because I haven't decided on how I want the finish to look yet.

If I had done any research on premade stands I would suggest them, but I had planned to make my own since the beginning.

With pre built stands you are kind of limited. AGA, Deep Blue, MarineLand. Out of those three def stay away from the Deep Blue. Or you can find a custom builder. We had our bedroom furniture custom built by an Amish wodworker. Great craftsmanship. I often think about gettng my next stand built by them as well. The downfall there is you need to drive out to the lancaster area and deep into Amish country to find them. these guys do not advertise at all. What I did for my stand was to build it myself. I also have no/minimal skills and minimal tools. The hardest part for my was the doors, I just couldn't figure out an easy way with my lack of tools. I got lucky though and a friend came through for me. There is a good templete to follow on RC, can't remember the post though. Im sure someone will link it for you though. Good luck

I think I might try to find a custom builder. I definitely don't want to build it myself. I'm tired of putting stuff together. I have like $1K work of parts to build a calss a ballanced headphone amp that have been sitting for over a year. Everytime I think about starting it the mood quickly fades.

I will have to see if I can look at the AGA. I was not impressed with the deep blue stand in the store and I think marineland will be expensive

If you didn't start off with your #1, I might have suggested that you see how mine is coming along and try to build one yourself. It's certainly not easy though, especially when you don't have the proper tools.

I've gotten the framework all done for my 3 pieces (stand, canopy, and side cabinet) but I'm stuck at skinning it with the plywood and trim work because I haven't decided on how I want the finish to look yet.

If I had done any research on premade stands I would suggest them, but I had planned to make my own since the beginning.

How hard has it really been to make a stand though? And how much do you think you saved over buying a pre-made stand? I'm thinking about doing one for a 40b, but I have basically 0 wood working experience and 0 tools besides maybe a hack saw and a miter box, which could probably do most of the job save for the plywood.

That being said, I do have friends that are more handy than I and I'm sure I can find a power drill and table saw, which is pretty much all I'd think I'd need to do the job, right?

jgraz - You mean this template? http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1169964

How hard has it really been to make a stand though? And how much do you think you saved over buying a pre-made stand? I'm thinking about doing one for a 40b, but I have basically 0 wood working experience and 0 tools besides maybe a hack saw and a miter box, which could probably do most of the job save for the plywood.

That being said, I do have friends that are more handy than I and I'm sure I can find a power drill and table saw, which is pretty much all I'd think I'd need to do the job, right?

jgraz - You mean this template? http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1169964

Rocket Engineer's design and layout is awesome. I'm so tempted to try it my self. My problem is doing the quality skining part. I saw Hockeynuts stand a couple of days ago and was very impressed. It a fine piece of furniture. And I love his lighting system too!