• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need advice

So I bought two new baby snow flake clowns from absolutely fish last night, while at the store the worker fed the fish and they ate fine. Now when I feed them today they show no interest, I bought the same type of food they used in the store since they were already eating it. I tried grinding it down to smaller pellets but still nothing. The food is 1mm in size, should I get garlic and add it to the pellets?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
It may take a day or two for them to get their appetite back but they usually show interest the next day if they were acclimated correctly Did you drip acclimate them and for how long. If there is a big difference in salinity between your tank and the store tank you should take a good hour to acclimate them.
In the meantime you can try a little frozen food. That usually gets them going.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Yep, give it a day or two, they're getting used to their new environment and all the stressors involved. They're not going to starve in a day or two. If they're not eating by Monday you might want to try soaking the food in garlic oil, but I'm guessing they'll be good to go by tomorrow.
I dropped two Darwin Clowns in a tank on Wednesday morning, they didn't eat till Friday night.
No need to worry yet.

Now just to get my uv sterilizer, then hopefully my water will clear more and my corals will open more. My hammer and acans don't seem to be opening to much. But all my test are perfect.

I'm using a media rack with, sponge filter, purigen,phosgaurd,and chemi pure blue I think it is. But I get mad algae growth on my glass and water column looks a little cloudy I think. I've seen far clearer tanks

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
What size tank? And how "new" is it? Are you running an ULNS?

Personally I have never used a UV so I can't say much. But I have heard mixed views on them. In particular if it's not sized properly on the tank.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I don't know too much about UV, I only ran mine for about 3 weeks before breaking a tank down. If you want clear water I would look more at carbon than a UV filter. The carbon will help clear up your water.

But all levels are good I tested last Sunday and on my salifert mag and Calc test everything is in range. My salifert phosphate test doesn't register any thing. And my red sea test for the basics are all good.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
here's what i am thinking....and others please feel free to chime in as i am taking an educated guess on this

i think it's either: A. your running an ULNS aka a very clean tank, B. your lighting intensity/spectrum may be off or C. a combination of the 2

with all the media you are running, ( purigen,phosgaurd,and chemi pure blue) it could explain why the corals seem unhappy....especially if they came from a "dirtier" tank. The chems could be "stripping" the water and possibly may have placed the corals into "shock" with the sudden change in parameters.

The light intensity/spectrum could be the issue with the algae on the glass....maybe too high of an intensity or too much of a certain color ...(not sure actually on what your light is set to)....maybe its a light spillage issue due to the height of the fixture...

Last edited:
So your saying remove all my media, just leave my sponge and skimmer? I'm about to add cheat on to my tank..I don't have a refugium per say...I bought a hanging breeder box and I'm going to have it in box on the side of my tank.. my light is set to 14k and 90% with the red dialed down to about 30%