• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need emotional/mental support for my dog

Hi friends,

All or most of you know that we lost our beloved Bernese Mountain Dog "Simon" in January. 2 weeks ago our other Berner became sick. I took him to the vet right away and we did extensive blood work, a urinalysis, etc. I knew there would be blood in the urine, as that was the reason I took him there to begin with. Well, Max is an unneutered 6 year old male, and yesterday we had an ultrasound done. The results showed that he has Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. I talked to my vet for over 20 minutes, and we decided to neuter him now. Tomorrow I'll schedule his appointment.

I guess the main reason I'm posting is to let you all know that I learned the hard way about neutering. We neutered our first dog when he was 5. Simon was never neutered, but he, too, had severe prostate problems at the end. And now Max. :'( :'( Yes, I wanted to breed him, especially since he is SO healthy, has such an incredible, sound, breed-typical temperament, but it wasn't meant to be.

Please, to all of you dog owners, who perhaps share my "old-fashioned" sentiment about neutering, please neuter your male dog. It can definitely lead to health problems. I have certainly changed my mind about the subject. Our next male WILL be neutered ahead of time.

I'll keep you all updated when the time comes that I have to take him in for the procedure.

And thank you all for listening.

Here he is, my love, my pride and joy, my pillow, my footwarmer, my best friend, and the best hugger in the world:
As a puppy
wk3max8.jpg

Now
Max4-3-084.jpg

Yes, Greg, that particular problem will be fixed. :)

I was extremely relieved to hear that all his bloodwork (liver, kidneys, white blood count, etc.) was right on the money. I was also relieved that the ultrasound didn't reveal any abnomalities in his organs (other than the prostate) - which both my vet and I suspected to be the problem to begin with.

His testosterone levels are just too high. I can imagine how that must sound though. :-[

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glad he's going to be alright! Not to worry, he won't miss them! ;D

Spaying female dogs also prevents cancer. Thanks for the Public Service Announcement, Wendy!

Phyl said:
Glad he's going to be alright! Not to worry, he won't miss them! ;D

Spaying female dogs also prevents cancer. Thanks for the Public Service Announcement, Wendy!

LOL. I hope you're right - I think he'll miss them initially though, but it'll benefit his health. And that's the most important thing afterall.

I don't even know WHY I had the stupid sentiment that male dogs better be left intact. It's just wrong wrong wrong, especially if they're not used for breeding purposes.

Right now the surgery is scheduled for November 12th. As much as I would have loved to have stayed during the procedure, we decided it be best if I don't because Max will be sensing all my emotions, and that won't help him in the least. I'll drop him off once they call me and let me know they're ready for him, and shortly after he wakes up I can pick him up. Oh, and I'll be getting his teeth cleaned while he's under anesthesia. Might as well.

hey i just read this and was heart broken. I hope he will be ok, he looks like a strong pup. Good luck to you and your dog. I hope all the best.

Thank you for all the encouraging words. :)

Greg, you crack me up!

The surgery has been pushed back a week (Nov 19 now) so that Max won't have to wait all day without food and water.

Today's the big day. My heart's in my throat and Max by my side because he senses something's up.

We'll have to be ready to take him starting at 8:30. :-X

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
He's not going to be any different when he gets home. Don't stress!

LOL.

Well, I'm still waiting for the vet to call. Any minute now. He had a few appointments this morning. The waiting thing is getting to me. Sweating bullets here.

Ok, dropped Max off.

He'll be having lots of stuff done. EKG, neutering, prostate wash (if possible), insert catheter for urine to check for bacteria, clean his teeth, and remove a cyst from gums.

I'm sure this will be one long afternoon for me until they call me to let me know he's awake again. :-\