• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need fish bad. Any suggestions?

Hey Guys,
I have been having bad experiences with fish in my reef, so I've been focusing on my corals (my true love). Clueless company seem to always look past the colorful corals thinking that there decoration and always say, where are the fish?? I'm like what? Do you know what's involved in reef keeping??

Anyway, I have midas blenny, Hippo Tang, Scopas Tang (both with HILLE and being treated with Selcon, grounding probe, and Nori), a maroon clown, and I need motion bad.... The Six line seems to distroy every other type of wrasse I add ( yellow cloris, ruby head, and some other tri color one that I forgot the name of). I also lost a Acheles Tang and a couple of Anthias... Ahhhh!

What can you think of besides Blue Devil, and Green Chromis that the six line won't distroy?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Dwarf angels swim around the tank non stop and should be able to hold up to a six line wrasse. The only other one I can think of is clowns. Maroon clowns can be quite aggressive and could probably hold their own.

I guess for motion dwarf angel fish? They are constantly picking at things, of course I just bought one so maybe it is on my mind. You run the risk that you get a bad apple though. AO has some really nice flame angels at the momment, I got a coral beauty. You have a fair amount of fish I am surprised with 2 tangs you don't have enough motion in the tank.

Thanks Guys. The fish hide in the rock work. only come out when they feed.
I'll prob get a 1/2 dozen of chromis, and blue devils to get some schools. Don't angels eat polyps?

The Anthias jumped out of my tank even with the eggcrate... Damn Shame!

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Find a Lamarck angel very nice looking fish and very reef safe,the damsels may make your midas jump due to aggression.

Hmmm seems odd you don't see the tangs other then for feeding ... mine are in constant motion...OK occasionally the hippo will spook and hide but is back out fast real short term memory like Dory. You have some risk with dwarf angels yes.

Carib pygmy...purple yellow is the safest
flame is not bad
coral beauty is bit trickier
think a couple others Eibli Angelfish and Lamarck's Angelfish are also considered safe.

My experience tells me that they get a sorta bad rap...I had a pygmy and zero real problems...picked at on occasional hairy mushroom then let go and picked at another rock..they just pick and don't really care what it is. I just got a coral beauty...in QT...he is picking at everything. I feed fairly heavy so they no fish go hungry in my tank. Some risk but think that holds true with most fish.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have had at one point or another a flame, pygmy, flameback, and coral beauty angel. Never had them eat corals. Occasionally they will pick at one, but I think they are really looking for algae. Ricwilli had to get rid of a blue hippo tang that was eating his zoas, you never really know what fish might all of a sudden take a liking to your corals.

I had a coral beauty that was destroying my coral and i had one that never went near my coral. Depends on the fish itself.

Try 3-4 anthias. I have 3 sq backs that are constantly out

How large is your tank? Depending on the size, you might be able to do multiple dwarf angels, which could be really neat.

the tangs may just be under stress from being in a 90 gallon. Hate to bring this possible issue up.

I think chromis or similar dither fish would be the right move - as the tangs will cue on the dither fish being out and about and also come out. Anthias are also dither fish - so I'm not sure why they didn't live for you.

Of course you have bigger issues if the sixline/maroon beat the crud out of your newcomers. Dead dither fish don't help. :'(

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not to be a party pooper but maybe your fish are acting up because something is wrong in the tank? Hole in the head is primarely brought up by poor nutrition, and stress...maybe if the fish you currently have get healthy again, they will be active enough before you need to add more fish.

I guess that the addition of a ground probe says you found stray current in your tank? If that was the case and you eliminated it, the hole in the head can go away and your fish may become more active and you will like theh activity the promote.

JMO.

Rod

Thanks Guys.

@Rod, yeah I realized that I wasn't feeding them enough Algae. Someone also suggested I get a grounding probe and Selcon. All fish are in excellent health besides the Hippo and Scopas (torn fins and HILLE). They come out to eat, and swim fine, they just favor the rockwork. My paremeters are fine and corals (including SPS with extended polyps)are doing great.

Erik