• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need fish suggestions please.

My sanded is a touch under 3 which makes me want to add maybe another 40lbs . It is "live sand" I bought from pts..has shells in ir and some rubble..can I safely add more?

I don't think you'll need to use "live" sand at this point, I'd just get a 30# bag of sugar sized oolite and rinse it before you try to add it to the tank. I like to use my tank water when I do a WC for this and rinse it about 3x and dump the dirty water. I scoop the "cleaned" substrate into a 1 gal. freezer storage bag and lower it to the bottom, then slowly allow it pour out. You'll still have some clouding, but it'll be minimal. But, only cover part of the bottom, and do the other part at a later date.

YoU can certainly add more sand, but if you are at nearly 3", I wouldn't call it a necessity. If you do add sand, keep in mind that the smaller the grain size that you use, the more likely it is that it will end up all over your live rock and suspended in your watercolum clouding your tank. Also keep in mind that the jawfish needs different size sand particles in order to construct a burrow; too much fine grained sand will make it more difficult for your jawfish to construct a burrow.
I like Fiji pink for a tank with a jawfish and potentially a pistol shrimp, it is a nice mix of heavier grains with some fine sand as well. IMHO, adding oolite to a tank with a jawfish will drive you crazy.
As you already have ifs in the tank, IMHO, I would not add dead sand, but that is just me.