• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need for Splash Guard on Power Compacts

Hello all. Great site you have here. I am new here and have recently set up a new 29 gallon FOWLR after running only a 12 gallon FO salt tank for a couple of years. I have a feeling that I will eventually be sucked into converting to a reef tank after this new tank matures. I searched the forum but did not find answers to my questions about the need for a splash guard on a (2x65w) PC light over an open (egg crate with center hole cut out) tank and I am hoping that someone with more knowledge than me will be kind enough to help me out.

Does a 2x65 PC fixture need a splash guard if it will be sitting up 4 inches or so above the water line? If so, is it just to protect the fixture (ballasts are water resistant) or is it also to protect the tank inhabitants from UV? If I add a splash guard to the unit myself should it be made of lexan and what kind of adhesive should I use? Would I then need a fan inside the fixture to protect it (assuming that tank water temp is not a problem)? Sorry if I searched badly and missed these issues somewhere else.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to NJRC!

PCs do not need UV protection to protect the inhabitants. They are already shielded. If your bulbs don't get salt spray on them then you probably don't need to protect the bulbs from water. You do need to take care not to expose the end caps to water/spray/etc as they are not (as far as I know) waterproof. You don't want to start a fire. I would probably want a guard on the fixture (or at least across where the end caps connect).

Are you using a commercial fixture or retro-fitting parts into your canopy?

My PC fixture had a fan in it. This helps the ballasts not melt. Are your ballasts inside of the fixture? or elsewhere?

Phyl said:
Welcome to NJRC!

PCs do not need UV protection to protect the inhabitants. They are already shielded. If your bulbs don't get salt spray on them then you probably don't need to protect the bulbs from water. You do need to take care not to expose the end caps to water/spray/etc as they are not (as far as I know) waterproof. You don't want to start a fire. I would probably want a guard on the fixture (or at least across where the end caps connect).

My PC fixture had a fan in it. This helps the ballasts not melt. Are your ballasts inside of the fixture? or elsewhere?
Thanks for the welcome and getting back to me so quickly Phyl. It would be a commercial fixture made by a co. named Catalina. I don't know much but it seems that although it maybe on the lower end of the quality spectrum it should work for me now and if I move onto a few soft corals down the road? The ballasts are inside the fixture (the bulbs are in clips and the ballasts are not fixed to the sides but floating on their wires outside the walls of the unit and only suspended up by the clipped bulbs) and I do see a punch out spot on th esides of the unit where I could probably attach a small fan to the unit on one (or both) sides.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Someone else must have or be familiar with that unit. Hopefully they can chime in. That fixture should be fine to get you started. I used a PC fixture with SPS in the very beginning. Does the unit have a channel for a splash guard?

SurfnTurf said:
Phyl said:
Welcome to NJRC!

Thanks for the welcome and getting back to me so quickly Phyl. It would be a commercial fixture made by a co. named Catalina. I don't know much but it seems that although it maybe on the lower end of the quality spectrum it should work for me now and if I move onto a few soft corals down the road? The ballasts are inside the fixture (the bulbs are in clips and the ballasts are not fixed to the sides but floating on their wires outside the walls of the unit and only suspended up by the clipped bulbs) and I do see a punch out spot on th esides of the unit where I could probably attach a small fan to the unit on one (or both) sides.

Catalina makes great lights.

Phyl said:
Someone else must have or be familiar with that unit. Hopefully they can chime in. That fixture should be fine to get you started. I used a PC fixture with SPS in the very beginning. Does the unit have a channel for a splash guard?
Yes it does have a channel on each side so I guess I can just go get some lexan cut to the correct size snap it in the grooves and I'm done with the splash guard?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes, just slide the lexan/plexi into that groove (should be able to slide it in from one end).

I also feel that if it has a channel for the guard that it is likely something they expect to be there. Hopefully the innards are designed to allow for enough airflow not to cause damage to the ballasts from the contained heat.

I know there are folks here who have the Catalina lights that should be able to help clue you in, but a quick call to the company could also be very helpful here.

Thanks again Phyl. The answers to my questions at the company so far have been a bit cryptic to say the least (like Q:Do you make a splash guard for this unit that I can buy? A: The unit does not come with a splash guard) but I'll give it another try. I will probably rig up a little fan on the side to suck the air out of the enclosed bulb space.

Thanks for this excellent knowledge resource. It's great to know that you can still get something of value for free once in a while. I'll keep searching for more info here and check back in when I'm ready to jump into my first corals.