• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need help identifying Algae

IMG_20150304_214006.jpgIMG_20150304_213958.jpgIMG_20150304_213951.jpgIMG_20150304_215812.jpg

Hi! I need help figuring out what this Algae is, it has been in my tank for a while and I thought it was my lights. However, it wasn't because I got rid of my junky LEDS and got T5's. I have been running GFO for about 8 months now and still have this Algae in my tank. Its like white hair algae? But I do not know... It has a brown base and then like a white hair. I have not found anything online about it...

I did the 3 days lights out and it helped the glass and the powerheads/overflow. But the rocks stayed the same and 2 weeks later it came back. Plus I only feed 1 block of mysis every other day and seaweed on off stays. So I definitely don't think it is phosphates.

Any ideas? Or tricks to get rid of this?

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Does it look like a string attached to an air bubble? If so, it is dino.

H202 - Hydrogen Peroxide is a known solution. 1 ml/ 10G of water every day for 2 weeks should take care of it.

Maybe like 4 months ago it looked like it had very very small air bubbles on it but not anymore. It is just stringy and white. Plus i think the air bubbles came from my sump which is why it might have stuck to it. It brushes off when i run my finger over it

just seems like regular algae bloom. I honestly don't tinker the tank that much and let such events cycle thru - unless it's a mature tank and the blooms are getting worse. btw - those freaking vermetid snails get their strings everywhere - but it's localized. Pita and ugly if you ask me.

Yeah I guess it seems like a algae bloom. Im going to try to starve the algae by changing GFO every 2-3 days. Hopefully that works. And yeah the Vermetid snails are annoying... populated my tank in less than a month and now there everywhere. Always stabs my hand when I fixing rocks :/ have 2 wrasses that are finally eating them though Dance

what kind of wrasse? I'm at wits end with these vermatids. Everything in my tank was killed by Sandy except for these snails! Go figure.

It is a Halichoeres argus [Argus wrasse]. Only comes out from like 9 to 5 for some reason and does work on some of the snails each morning. I don't know why but he eats them a lot. He destroyed my snail population in 2 days haha!