• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need help identifying this coral

I was told this was a frogspawn, but i am thinking not. Any ideas
coral1.jpg

coral2.jpg

thanks

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I belive it is a frogspawn. It will be easier to tell when it opens.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It looks bleached and unhappy. What colors was it when it was open at the store? It should be open by now, if it were in ideal conditions. I would check your magnesium and make sure it isn't being over-lit either by reducing your photo period or screening the tank until it looks better.

Yeah, agree with Phyl here. Looks very unhappy and ready to brown jelly, to be honest.

I'd Iodine dip that sucker to be on the safe side...

Phyl said:
It looks bleached and unhappy. What colors was it when it was open at the store? It should be open by now, if it were in ideal conditions. I would check your magnesium and make sure it isn't being over-lit either by reducing your photo period or screening the tank until it looks better.

whitish green. should i have it at the bottom of the tank? I have it at the top right now

jonathan. said:
Yeah, agree with Phyl here. Looks very unhappy and ready to brown jelly, to be honest.

I'd Iodine dip that sucker to be on the safe side...

??? what do i use for that?

That's an iodine supplement, not strong enough for medicinal use.

Look Here on Premium Aquatics Website.

Move it to a low to moderate flow area and moderate light location as well.

Try to coax it to eat some mysis. Turn the pumps of when feeding, give a little squirt of food and see if you get a feeding response.

blange3 said:
That's an iodine supplement, not strong enough for medicinal use.

Look Here on Premium Aquatics Website.

Move it to a low to moderate flow area and moderate light location as well.

Try to coax it to eat some mysis. Turn the pumps of when feeding, give a little squirt of food and see if you get a feeding response.

i Just bout the dip. Also i moved it to the bottom of the tank. i will give it a day or 2 before i dip it.

Looks alot like my unhappy torch coral. Keep it out of direct flow.

What kind of lighting are you running? What size tank? That would determine height placement.

Are your water parameters in check? Mine is a good indicator that nitrates are getting too high, it has a fit and doesn't want to open until I give the tank a good water change.

Mine wants to be about half way up the tank under 175watt MH in a 90gallon, when I had it under T5, it wanted to be in the top 25% of the tank, but no matter what, it did NOT want to be in direct flow. (and it stung the mess out of a GSP matte that was almost 4" away from it, so watch proximity to other corals as well.)

mfisher2112 said:
Looks alot like my unhappy torch coral. Keep it out of direct flow.

What kind of lighting are you running? What size tank? That would determine height placement.

Are your water parameters in check? Mine is a good indicator that nitrates are getting too high, it has a fit and doesn't want to open until I give the tank a good water change.

Mine wants to be about half way up the tank under 175watt MH in a 90gallon, when I had it under T5, it wanted to be in the top 25% of the tank, but no matter what, it did NOT want to be in direct flow. (and it stung the mess out of a GSP matte that was almost 4" away from it, so watch proximity to other corals as well.)

I am running 150Watt MH and 40 atinic PC. The tank is a 30 Hex. All of the parameters are in check except for the calcium which was a 280. I am slowly bringing that up.

Calcium could be the issue. That's on the low side.

In the 30 hex, I'd bring it half way up the tank depending on the lighting that was used at the LFS you got it from, and get that calcium level up. Keep an eye on your PH and alkalinity levels while raising the calcium, tho. It's pretty easy to knock one out of whack while trying to correct the other.

mfisher2112 said:
Calcium could be the issue. That's on the low side.

In the 30 hex, I'd bring it half way up the tank depending on the lighting that was used at the LFS you got it from, and get that calcium level up. Keep an eye on your PH and alkalinity levels while raising the calcium, tho. It's pretty easy to knock one out of whack while trying to correct the other.

Will Do

JerseyWendy said:
Mike,
How's the coral doing?

---
Wendy

Well I FW dipped it today. I am sure it is in shock right now she is still closed. How are you making out with the tank any progress?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you with the Frogspawn. ;)

Any progress? You're funny. After moving the 75 so successfully, I celebrated the rest of the day. :-[

---
Wendy

You really need to check your Mag! instant ocean salt has very low levels of cal and mag. I told you your problem with the coral is your levels, dipping it will only further stress it and could possably kill it.

Also if your mag is low you will have trouble maintaining your cal.