• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

need help on feeding Golden Headed Sleeper Goby

hi everyone,
I just bought 2 Golden Headed Sleeper Gobies. They are hidding under my rock most of the all the time. they are not show and feed at all. What should I feed them in order for them to come out and sift the sand again ? :( any trick would help. It is quite depress to see two beautiful fishes hid under the rock and stress out.

malulu

NJRC Member
try to drop some pellet foods next to where they hide out...
and no worry, they will come out after hiding for a day or two...
just beware, that if they are not mating pair, they will fight eventually, and one would be stave to death.

Yeah I think they'll come out when they're more comfortable. Depending on what else you have in your tank they'll take thier time before they come out.

My diamond goby would disapear for a couple days sometimes but he would always come out after time.

Its normal for them to hide under things as they usually make burrows for themselves to hide in. As they become more comfortable in your tank they will spend more time out in the open. They can be adapted to frozen or pellet foods but most of their diet comes from tiny inverts they filter out from the sand.

Mine liked mysis soaked in garlic.

Although he ate very well, he eventually starved to death. They really depend on having a lot of life in the sandbed to feed on. One in a 46 gallon with a 2" sandbed lasted less than a year.

I won't be buying Golden Headed Sleeper Gobies again, especially after I read the list on RC of fish not to keep.

I will try some pellet food tonight and see how they are react. I don't know if this is a pair but at the LFS (Red Sand)they are hang out as a pair while chasing other. while they are in the tank and watched them for 2 days (after work), I don't see them fight but one come out a little bit and encourge the other to come out by dancing in front of their hid-out place.
does anyone know where can I buy a long handle turkey squirt thingy? my at home is too short for spot feed.

malulu

NJRC Member
i got TWO about THREE years back... they are good in the first few days, then one started to chase the other, which end up the 2nd one is hiding all the time, eventually it starve to death.

you can get this, it is pretty long, but it won't work for pellet food, it only works for chopped fine food...
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10854/product.web

or you can make one yourself... get a long tub thingy somehow with your existing blaster's ball.

Get algae sheets they love them. I had a very large one for over a year. He would eat it out of our hands. One thing they are jumpers and they will eventually jump ship make sure your top is covered. Good luck with them.