• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need help with MRC skimmer

Hi - I could use some help. I just cleaned the beckett needle housing on my MRC1 for the first time and after I placed it back on and turned on the pump, I am getting water spraying out from the air intake and the two slits need the top of the injector unit. ???

I checked it a second time and had the same shower going on. Am I forgetting something simple here or did I screw up the needle assembly? I did spray some water out through the injector unit, so I hope this is not it. What the heck! Try to do some good hearted maintenance and this results??

TIA!
Bob

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That happened to me once too, Bob. I think I just lowered the level of the skimmer (with the gate valve), opened up the air valves all the way and let it run for a few minutes that way...then reset everything. Have you tried that?

Hey Brian - I'm pretty sure I did, but the blasted fountain fired back up! D'oh! :-\

So, about a gallon or two being on the floor at that point, I didn't try a third time. I see the skimmer is half full and the riser tube is full, I wonder if it is all this extra water in there throwing it off.

I guess I will empty out the skimmer section and give it another try watching those adjustments as you pointed out (with towels all around)

I will let you know...
Thanks

After empty the skimmer chamber of the excess water, I fired it back up carefully tuning the water level and it worked like a charm.

Brian - Thanks for the reassurance in knowing you have been down this road.

The skimmer is belting out foam stronger then it has in months. (should have cleaned the needle a way ago!)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bob, I think that problem has something to do with back pressure in the outflow line. Our outflow line is completely submerged and sometimes we have the same thing happen. An easy way to work through it is to disconnect the waste line from whatever collector you have it in and put your thumb over the end of it. With no where for the air to go, the skimmer "shuts down" and forces the water back down the riser tube. Once it bottoms out and starts flowing regularly, take your thunb off and hook it back up. It's a lot easier than trying to readjust the air intakes and the gate valve every time you fire it up.

HTH.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ahh..you know...I do that too...But once he said water was coming out of the injectors I never thought of it, because that's only happened to me a couple of times.

But EVERYTIME I start it back up I have to play with the drain line going to the collection cup. The skimmer itself will just fill right up if i do.

and now I have to go clean my injectors...it's been too long!