• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need help

Got a clown that has swim bladder disorder..he's swimming upside down and all over..not normal clown behavior. He also just lays on his side most of the time..he's been like this about a week. Not eating much just spits out the brine. I have him quarantined off so he doesn't get sucked into the overflow and so I can try to feed him. Any help?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Tough call. In FW tanks I heard it can be treated with meds, not sure though. Also, heard in FW setup they would feed the fish fresh mushed peas. Again not sure of this or know what it does. Good luck.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Swim bladder disorder would mean he is floating upside down at the surface or unable to get off the bottom, is that what is happening? I have seen people use a needle to pierce the bladder and release gas but I'd only do that as a last resort. The peas are more for digestive help and I'm not sure they'd do anything here...

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
In FW when a fish eats pellets, and flake food, they eat at the surface which can cause them to gulp air. This has caused swim bladder disease.

If he really has SBD, then you need to vent.
Broad spectrum antibiotics may be the one course of treatment....tetracycline or E.M. erythromycin.

@Humblefish would be the person to ask for the correct course of action.

Last edited:
Check the chemistry of the water. Increase O2 agitation and conduct as many water changes as needed if your parameters are in doubt. Fish normally exchange gas naturally to maintain buoyancy but it is a slow process and will be inhibited/exacerbated with bad water quality. Diana's point about gulping the surface makes sense too. As an aside I've done the needle trick on a seahorse and it is not something I wish to ever repeat.