• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need Input about MH bulbs

Hey all! Just had a really bad experience with another supplier. :'( My luck.
So, I need everyone's opinion: is it me or supplier?

I placed an order for MH Coralife bulb with Marineandreef.com.
The bulb arrived and it looks like it has been used. The package was opened (you could see staples were removed once). I complained to the owner and here is the response I received:

"Hello Oksana,

I appreciate you sending the pictures. I was able to see what you described about the staple and the creases in the cardboard packaging. Out of curiosity I checked the 3 bulbs we had on the shelf here for comparison and here is what I found (see attached). What I hope you can see from the pictures (sorry for the blurry photo quality) is that ALL 3 BOXES have the same issue with the staple being slightly moved, and 2 of the 3 had noticeable creases in the cardboard. I showed this to the owner and here is our take on the matter…

STAPLES - it really makes no sense that Coralife would repackage bulbs. Not only is this illegal, but a used bulb wouldn’t fare well under their warranty and end up costing more in the long-run. Because the staples on all of the packages are moved slightly, we are led to believe they simply had an issue with a stapler on the manufacturing line.

CREASES - this is very normal on packages that use molded paper … the paper is first painted, then bent into position, which causes a visible crease.

SEAL - these are not heat-sealed packages and they are only held together by small indents in the plastic mold. I’m not sure what you want, but the mold is often imperfect. All 3 of the packages here displayed the same, but I couldn’t get my phone to take a good enough picture to show you.

I’m sorry if this disappoints you Oksana, but your bulb looks completely normal in comparison with the bulbs Coralife is sending us. We therefore have no reason to believe this item was used or maimed in any way. The bulb is FULLY COVERED under the Coralife warranty for 90 days. If you still choose to return the product, you would need to do so at your own expense and any refund would be charged a 20% restocking fee. If you opt for store credit or exchange for equal or greater value, the restocking fee would be waived. Let me know if you have any additional questions."

I guess I am not shopping at this place again. :'(

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What did the bulb look like that made you think that it had been used already? Was there something of the bulb itself (discoloration, etc) that would make you think this? Their arguments and validation based on other items in stock lead me to believe they might just be right on this. I don't personally shop at MD, but I do believe that they would do the right thing if they really thought the bulb had been used.

Sorta surprises me that they were talking about chatting with "the owner" rather than manager though. I picture that operation a little larger than your local LFS...

The package was opened once at least and re-stapled. The package itself is scratched and looks like it was returned already by someone else. I was under the impression that if you sell an OPEN ITEM, it should be describe as OPENED ITEM. I paid a full price for this item and expected to receive a brand new (manufacturer sealed)bulb. Am I wrong? Here are more pics:

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Their pictures aren't anything like yours. They look like two different items. Is this the same product they sent you a photo of?

Are the physical bulbs harmed at all?? Are they completely clear?? I know my bulbs...when brand new they are completely clear....but as soon as they are first used, they get cloudy when off...

I did not take bulb out of the package. I saw it was opened and wanted to exchange for another one. They can't send a replacement because (according to them) all packages are like that.

The package is very scratched. I can see that the bulb has brownish edges. I am attaching another photo

I know this isn't what you want to hear...but from that picture, it looks like the bulb is brand new. If you can clearly see through the bulb then its a new bulb. As soon as electric passes through them, the gas inside the bulb causes a haze on the glass. Compare it to an old bulb.

But that company does seem to be a pain. I like to order my bulbs through ReefGeek.com....very easy to work with there!!

whitebear1020 said:
9supratt4 said:
I know this isn't what you want to hear...but from that picture, it looks like the bulb is brand new.
not true ;D I want to hear all opinions. If you think it is brand new, I feel better :)

I definitely think its new...just a messed up package. If you take a bulb out take a nice clear picture of the bulb out of the plastic.