• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need Opinions Bad - Standard 90 or 93 Cube

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
I hate to say this also I agree with John if you have the footprint for a 4' x 2' tank that I would go straight to the 120 I have a 90 right now and I will tell you that 18 inches deep is not deep enough. If I had to choose between the standard 90 and the cube I will take the cube, but there is also one other thing that has to be thought about if you are going to put T fives with your led you will only be able to use 24 inch bulbs which unless I'm mistakin are only 18 W they'll never be enough light to get to the bottom of the tank.
Do yourself a favor and go straight to the 120

Rob brings up a good point on the t5 sizing. I run 2 hydras over mine but would be limited if I wanted t5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We had a similiar but not an exact situation, we were running a 45g cube and a 57g. Having 18 or less front to back is not fun and we loved the 45g cube and hated the 57g tank. We ran a 5 bulb t5 fixture over the cube and we grew anything we wanted anywhere. With a good fixture, 4 bulbs would be enough too (depending on your coral positioning). You can get custom sumps made which will be just fine. If you go four feet, do not get the 90.

Question guys, isn't the width of a 90 with no overflow box about the same as a 120 with 2 of those huge reef ready overflows? How deep are the standard AGA reef ready overflows, when I say deep I mean how many inches do they protrude from the back wall?

The standard AGA protrudes about 4.5" or so. But they can be ordered with corner overflows. The Marine land and Deep blue tanks are standard with corner overflows. Or you could drill the AGA and install a glass holes kit or some other type of overflow

The standard AGA protrudes about 4.5" or so. But they can be ordered with corner overflows. The Marine land and Deep blue tanks are standard with corner overflows. Or you could drill the AGA and install a glass holes kit or some other type of overflow

Also, thanks for the info. So the tank I just posted in very similar to a 90 non reef ready, so i will pass.

there is a bit of waste but its easily worked around. I had a 90 RR had made it work. I found them useable enough that when it was time to upgrade I went with another RR tank as well.

Well the overflows are exactly where I would put rock, so I am only gaining 1.5 inches going from the 90 which is not very much. Not trying to argue just thinking, thanks for the input.