• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need some Enkamat for Mod

I want to mod out my Octopus Skimmer pump impeller with a piece of Enkamat. Online they have a 2 yd piece but obviously do not need that, and a guy on ebay is selling it for $5, enough for my impeller, but wondering if anyone has some that would be willing to trade a frag for it. Only need a piece for the impellor. Want to try the mod and see how it works.

Also, if anyone has done the mod, would love to hear results.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I only have a little left and wanted to hold on to it for replacement or repairs if/when needed. There was a guy Mavgi on RC that was selling 8.5 x 11 sheets for like $5.

Oh...and the 2 that I have modded have been great success. Air intake before mod, 6-7 lpm, after 13-14 lpm on both the G3 and G4x. Plus the bubbles are alot finer. I'd say it almost doubles the production. 

In on GB if that is the plan.

Gabe thanks for info.

Rich, did you make the venturi hole larger for more air intake? Looking to maybe do this. You have the ASM but on the Octopus people are talking about boring out the elbow. Wondering if worth it.

Also, did you perform impeller mod with 2 or three layers of Enkamat? Did you place Enkamat on top of impeller, between rows or in back? Sorry for so many questions.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NP on the questions Joe. I was considering getting a bunch of mesh and putting it up on my site basically at cost. Gotta see how the schedule work out. I think if a few guys got together and split their smallest order amount that would be the best course to take.

Any way, I have the stock venture reamed out as large as I could and still kept the integrity of the nipple the hose slips over. I was considering just installing a second hole and hose as an experiment.

On both the G3 and G4x I used 3 layers of the matting. I cut the needles off, drilled a couple of small holes for the baby wire ties, strapped it down, trimmed, re-assembled , done. If I wasn't doing a demo, I would say it would take 10 minutes tops.

Here's a shot of putting the tie's through the impeller plate.

dsc_1799.jpg

feel free to ask more questions.

If you get the stuff together and bring it to the March meeting, I'll help you out with it.