• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

need some help please new here & hobby.

Hi everyone , I'm so glad that I'm apart of this club n.j. represent. It took me awhile to join . It finally want through, it wasn't letting me before. I'm so excited to maybe grow in this journey with u guess. Ok let me start by saying I never had a fish tank before. I have been wanting to do it for along time . So i Saw somewhat of a good deal on 180 gallon tank 72×24×24 with 2 over flow box & stand its big . With eshop reef sump 20 gallon . Now this when I wish i could had someone with some knowledge like a place like this club. So I still had to get so many things. I told them to get was right for my tank . So they got me rio 3100 return pump . Eshop psk 200. 2 Deep blue 436 t5 . I chose to get ro/di . They made me feel like I was in good hands, so l decided to pay for them to deliver it & install it . Oh man . My stand had some nicks on it they didnt have the right tools . Never checked for leaks . The ro/di was broken . Finally they fixed it at the store. I think they gave a used one. I started filling the tank up 1/2 it took awhile & noticed the tank wasn't levelled**I called them I wasn't in goodhands .**to rap this up it was off by almost inch I levelled it my self . Put water back . Leftover night filling , woke up to leaking bulk heads thank god I put pond rubber liner on stand & stoped it before it got on carpet.**they finally set some one to fix & clean up . I was so*I almost gave this up. But now I'm about 4 months in I'm happy with hobby . I don't have nobody really to go to when comes to the hobby I hope I could be successful in the hobby . I live in scotch plains nj. Not sure but i was wondering if i put some pictures up of my tank if someone will be able to tell whats going on with my tank. I'm scared is something bad. Please let me know thank u. Ill be greatly appreciated

Hey, you're not too far from me. If you ever need a hand, let me know. You can also attend this month's NJRC meeting at Elos in Millburn this Saturday. You will meet lots of good reefers there.

http://www.njreefers.org/showthread.php?83909-July-Meeting-Elos-AquaStudio-New-York!-July-27th

Tell us more about your tank and equipment. List your livestock too. 180 gal is a really big tank for a beginner, but it should be more forgiving than a nano tank. I started with a 34 gal Solana and then upgraded to a 120 gal after about a year into the hobby.

Ok thank u .. So I have 180 gallon 72×24×24 . 2 Deep blue high output 436 t5 lights . 2 mp40s , 2 koralia 1500 2overflow boxes. Return pump rio 3100 ,900gph. Eshop reef sump h16"L30"w12 I think it holds 20 gallons. Eshop 200 protein skimmer .I got 5 gallon water jug ATO fw110 . Ro/di Aqua fx . I have 100p of live rock . One yellow tank & six line wrasse . Duncan coral. I feed the fish once a day . For 2 days & then skip a day. The coral every other week. My water parameters are my salt 1.026, calcium 360 , kh 179 10 drops? Phosphate o.o or o.25?nitrate 10 ? Once a week I do 20 gallons water chances*Thank u for writing. I got alittle to carzy & Im layed off right now so I got a empty tank well not really. Oh so u been the hobby for sometime now . Poeple were saying that's better to start big , like u said is more giving. I'm trying to see how I put pictures up . But I got brown algae. Starting . & i think they called pineapple sponges a lot . My protein skimmer hasn't been collecting could this cause that to happen

Hey welcome to the club and the hobby. For your protien skimmer it needs to be adjusted here and there because you are just setting up the tank and cycling so I would check that out. Also how is your clean up crew is it sufficient for that size tank. I mean algae bloom is going to be natural to have at the beginning months. But it will happen more if the skimmer isn't working properly and the clean up crew is too small. How long is your lighting period both actinic and whites.

Oh I'm moving to linden soon so I'm nearby. Let me know if you have questions I've been about 1.5 years into reefs so I still have lots to learn but I'll try to help out.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Roman, i like your style, go big or go home that is. welcome to the club. I have ADD so if you can break your writings into a few paragraphs it will help me a lot. Feel free to use bullet points too.:) I am new to the hobby too so my only advice is take it slow. No instant gratifications.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Roman, i like your style, go big or go home that is. welcome to the club. I have ADD so if you can break your writings into a few paragraphs it will help me a lot. Feel free to use bullet points too.:) I am new to the hobby too so my only advice is take it slow. No instant gratifications.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ok thank u ... if u not doing it big u not doing nothing:)

20130725_185922_zps189b8ccf.jpg
this the brown algae. Im getting