• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Needreefunds' 20L Nano-prop

Hi folks!

Lack of free space is what made me pursue Nano-reefing a few years ago. So a Nano Cube 12DX was started. After feeling the thrill of successfully keeping a nano reef thriving I decided to convert my FO marine tank into a mixed reef ( my 46 bow ). Then as my 29 FW suffered a crash I decided to put the survivors in a mini bow and put a 20long tank in its place. I really liked seeing pics of folks prop tanks. Just cool tanks set up to grow out frags, no pressure to keep it "just so" like a display tank, yet beautiful in their own right. So my little prop tank was born.

So this is an AGA 20L, with two modded ac110 HOB filters. The first has chambers for floss and chemi pure, heater and also a Sappire skimmer that was intended for an AP 24 ( I think LOL).This one also has the surface skimmer attachment. The second Ac110 has some rock rubble and chaeto with an 18w coralife fixture. I also drape floss over the "fence" of both as added mechanical filtration. The tank is lit by a 150w Sunpod with a Phoenix 14k bulb. OK, OK, enough right? Pics:

100_4577.jpg

Fabbed some racks ( I removed the bottom rack before start up )
100_4579.jpg

100_4582.jpg

This was early on with a Viper clamped to the front ::)........
100_4716.jpg

100_4718.jpg

000_0124.jpg

Tank suffered an outbreak after switching to the Sunpod
000_0137.jpg

So we will fast forward to some recent pics in my next post!

I hope you like so far!

Still here?? Great! More pics of my humble little proper!

MyChristmasFrags018.jpg

MyChristmasFrags014.jpg

MyChristmasFrags013.jpg

MyChristmasFrags012.jpg

MyChristmasFrags011.jpg

MyChristmasFrags009.jpg

MyChristmasFrags008.jpg

12-23-2007035.jpg

Some of those last ones, PPRPE, AOG, Nuke Greens, Creamsicles, Daytrippers and Mean greens, are Christmas presents from my wife!! 8)

Thanks for looking!

Rich the prop looks good ,i need to go see it :eek: , especially the new ones im in line for some frags when there ready , i need to fill one side of the new tank with zoos .

Twan, Well, were waiting!!! Lets go! :D

Ralph, Keep those fingers crossed and hope I can grow the heck out of them these next few months!
We may need to wait until the weather warms, I doubt they would make the trip all the way to you. ::)

Thanks again guys!

Hey Joe. This tanks been cranky lately. Not sure why. Zoas mainly. No matter how I try I just don't have a green thumb for Zoos. Three different tanks / systems and not one of them make 'em super happy. Ah, I'll figure it out one day.... :-\

As for pics, I just added some Kent Marine Biosediment to the fuge on this tank today and, well, a bit of a sand cloud was formed. ::)

Perhaps I can get some tomorrow. Here are some of the last ones I shot though...

12-23-2007049.jpg

12-23-2007048.jpg

12-23-2007047.jpg

12-23-2007046.jpg

12-23-2007045.jpg

12-23-2007044.jpg

Humm, As I'm posting this the tank is looking happier already. What did I do?
Cleaned the fuge, added some sand to it and restarted. Also cleaned the lens on the Sunpod. It didn't look THAT dirty.

A guess but I think you might have too much light on those little guys. That's not a very deep tank so it won't require as much light as you think it will. A few T5s might have been a better choice or even PCs.

You could try a couple layers of screen or similar on one portion of the tank and start new frags there so they get a chance to acclimate to the bright lights. Then move them to one layer, etc..

This might not be the issue at all but I thought I'd make mention of it just in case.

I'd try a layer or two of screen or something directly over some of the zoas to see if they respond better. You could be giving them to much light. Also the water could actually be to clean for them. While I wouldn't say they like "dirty water" I can tell you they do well in tanks that get a bit of algae here and there (nutrients a bit on the higher side).

If you ever decide to setup a 2nd prop tank do the second with less light and maybe without a skimmer (just use water changes) and try different frags in different systems depending on water quality and light requirements.

Not to complicate things even more but different frags will want different flow patterns too. Even though a frag system sounds easy you still face many of the same issues you do in a bigger tank.

Just some food for thought,
Carlo

Interesting thoughts Carlo. The input is very much appreciated, Thank you!

Sometimes some of the most obvious answers are right under your nose...

I recall having a tough time finding many lighting options for a 30" tank. Something with a bit more flexibility would be nice.

( Oh and just for the record I thought it would be fun, but I never thought it would be easy... ;) )

A little update. This little tank is doing a bit better. Just rode out whatever was bothering the zoas with time and water changes.
I'm in the process of putting together a little system upgrade....

002-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

031-3.jpg

Many of my "higher end" zoa were relocated to my display tank on frag racks during this rough period. I do hope the sump / fuge will add a bit more stability. Only time will tell.

I would also like to build two new eggcrate racks to have three tiers front to back with a few LR pieces under the racks. ;D

Rehype said:
Wow looks really good Richie!!!So fresh and so clean

Thanks Eugene! Funny, I like when the egg crate is new, yet I also love it when it gets covered in purple too!

So far everyone still looks happy with the changes!

Racks look great there NRF.. Looking good.. :D Thanks for posting the photos.. very nice to see some of use are keeping this forum alive.. :D Got to get on Con's back next... :D Keep up the great work!

mynd said:
Racks look great there NRF.. Looking good.. :D Thanks for posting the photos.. very nice to see some of use are keeping this forum alive.. :D Got to get on Con's back next... :D Keep up the great work!

Thanks mynd!

Geez, you thank me for posting, then I don't come around for half a month!! ::) ::)

Argg!Darned Spring time housework!! :mad:

;D I actually enjoy that as well, just not enough time ( or energy ) to get it all done!

Just a quick note here for now.

I cannot believe how much skimmate this Tunze pulls out of this tank.
And I really love the fact that when you clean the cup, you are basically cleaning the entire "collecting" body of the skimmer. Very cool indeed.

Thanks for checking up on me !