• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Needreefunds' NC 12 DX- 02-2007

It is nice because it is different. Actually looks like you would be really good at putting puzzles together. ;) Not a gap to be seen.

Thanks very much guys!

A few more shots...

11-05-2007018.jpg

11-05-2007015.jpg

11-05-2007013.jpg

OK, any idea what that worm might be?? Its black with white spots. I had never seen it before, or since!
No big deal really, just curious.

Isn't it amazing that after 10 months or so new things keep popping up from the live rock?

Thanks for looking, and ALL comments are welcome and appreciated!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
needreefunds said:
OK, any idea what that worm might be?? Its black with white spots. I had never seen it before, or since!

Hard to tell. Is it "smooth" with a white ring around it about 1/4" back from the head? If so, it could be a eunicid(sp) worm. Like I said, though, it's hard to tell from the pic.

JohnS_323 said:
needreefunds said:

Hard to tell. Is it "smooth" with a white ring around it about 1/4" back from the head? If so, it could be a eunicid(sp) worm. Like I said, though, it's hard to tell from the pic.
Hello John,
Thanks, I'll do a bit of surfing for more info. As for the "head", I'm not sure I saw one. There was one time when it extended really far that there was a white ring with white fingers or feelers at the end that seemed to be cleaning stuffs from the snail. Yes it seemed very smooth and the "head" was able to retract VERY far back into its body. Now since this is a family forum I think I shall refrain from further descriptions of this critter!! ::) Here is another picture, but not really any better.

11-05-2007011.jpg

Can you tell me what you have as far as the clean up crew goes. Im trying to get my sand sifted more and want to see what your doing about that. Thanks

CONSTANTNE said:
Can you tell me what you have as far as the clean up crew goes. Im trying to get my sand sifted more and want to see what your doing about that. Thanks
Right now I believe there are:
4- Astrea
4- Cerith
4- Nassarius
1- Emerald crab
1- blue leg hermit
It is possible there may be one or two extra snails here or there. ;D Hard to say for sure. I just added two Cerith and two Nass after the rework. I think I had more clean up members from my live rock when the tank was first set up. There were many more worms and such before I added the Six-line wrasse. The Wrasse was relocated to my 46 bow while I re-scaped this tank. She looked so happy in that tank that I didn't have the heart to put her back in the 'Cube. ( Like I would have caught her anyway ::)).So this tank is once again fish-less.

I seem to be going through a small diatom (?) bloom the past few days... :-\

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That sort of sounds like the eunicid we pulled from our tank. The thing was lightning fast and did just what you described. It would extend its head out, with small feelers coming out of the end and then zip back in. We thought it was relatively harmless until the day we came home and found it tearing through our open brain. After that it had to go. We wound up pulling the rock and doing a FW dip to get it out. When we finally pried it out we were stunned to find the "little worm" was a whopping 14" long. I have pics of it somewhere. I'll post them if I can find them.

Of course, yours may not be the type same worm, so do some research before you do anything crazy!

JohnS_323 said:
That sort of sounds like the eunicid we pulled from our tank. The thing was lightning fast and did just what you described. It would extend its head out, with small feelers coming out of the end and then zip back in. We thought it was relatively harmless until the day we came home and found it tearing through our open brain. After that it had to go. We wound up pulling the rock and doing a FW dip to get it out. When we finally pried it out we were stunned to find the "little worm" was a whopping 14" long. I have pics of it somewhere. I'll post them if I can find them.

Of course, yours may not be the type same worm, so do some research before you do anything crazy!
Anything crazy?? ME?? ::)

Gee, thanks for cheering me up John! LOL
Well, that rock may not be all that difficult to remove and dip if need be. I will try to get a positive ID first. I'm sure you know what can happen by just moving ONE rock :-\

Seriously though John, Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was able to dig up a few pics:

In a bowl:
Eunicid_Worm_1.jpg

Laying along a ruler for scale
Eunicid_Worm_2.jpg

Hope these help and good luck with it.

Rich i just read the whole thing , the tank is looking great ,nice pictures i love the zoos maybe someday we can trade and check the tanks out , but i think im way to far to go there ::), .

camz28 said:
Rich i just read the whole thing , the tank is looking great ,nice pictures i love the zoos maybe someday we can trade and check the tanks out , but i think im way to far to go there ::), .
Hey Ralph,
Oh I'm quite sure we can do some swapping soon! I don't have many high end frags yet but I do have some nice LPS frags that are just getting to the "frag-able" stage.

I lost quite a few frags while fighting a zoa fungus ( some really sweet stuff too! :'()

And yes we should schedule a good day for a visit. But with today's gas prices perhaps we should wait until they drop again.

After all, it IS a good three blocks away, no?? ::) ;D

Hey everyone!

Ok, is it just me or................

Whenever its time to do a bit of tank maintenance, that's when you notice just how great the tank looks that day?

And then of coarse you perform the needed tasks thus disturbing the picture perfect coral happiness that just was.

Point being, How long before I will remember to take tank thread update pictures BEFORE I TOUCH THE TANK!!!???! :mad:

So update: Corals perturbed and water cloudy. But pumps are clean and the hydor spins again!! ;D

I'll try to get some shots before lights out. ;)

Take care all!

Richie

Hello? TAP TAP TAP Is this thing on ???

OK, here is the pics I promised, oh, about a week ago

WTF12-16-2007037.jpg

WTF12-16-2007034.jpg

WTF12-16-2007033.jpg

WTF12-16-2007031.jpg

I still need a positive ID on that red macro, but I really like it, its purdy. :)
WTF12-16-2007029.jpg

WTF12-16-2007027.jpg

WTF12-16-2007026.jpg

WTF12-16-2007025.jpg

WTF12-16-2007024.jpg

WTF12-16-2007023.jpg

^^^see the 'shroom sliding off the rock and leaving me three babies to trade with you folks???
WTF12-16-2007022.jpg

WTF12-16-2007021.jpg

WTF12-16-2007019.jpg

WTF12-16-2007018.jpg

WTF12-16-2007017.jpg

WTF12-16-2007015.jpg

WTF12-16-2007014.jpg

WTF12-16-2007013.jpg

WTF12-16-2007012.jpg

Those acans and indy micro's were bleaching in my little prop tank, so I am trying them in here. They seem to be coloring up slowly. There was also a shot of my Tubbs blues and a polyp of PPE that have been struggling since I got them.

Enjoy!

twan said:
Looking good, careful of that GSP!

Yeah, sure....... :( No such luck Twan!

That GSP frag and also my Xenia frag have a growth rate of nada, zip, zilch, in this tank LOL!

I have seen very little, if any, growth from both since I bought them. That GSP must be eight months old and the Xenia about six months....Xenia has stopped pulsing also :'(

Thanks for checking up on me. :)

Nice looking frags there NRF. I likey. Let me know when you will be fraggin.. Interesting information on the GSP and xenia. Usually they grow like weeds.. How is everything with the tank parameter wise?

Tank looks great btw.. The frags are so colorful! Nice looking tubs blue up there if it is.. sharp!

mynd said:
Nice looking frags there NRF. I likey. Let me know when you will be fraggin.. Interesting information on the GSP and xenia. Usually they grow like weeds.. How is everything with the tank parameter wise?

Tank looks great btw.. The frags are so colorful! Nice looking tubs blue up there if it is.. sharp!
Thanks Mynd! Congrats on the wedding, Best of luck, health and happiness to you and the Mrs.!!

Params have been in check as far as SG, temp, trites and trates. I have only been checking Ca,Phos, and MG every now and again.

I have always loved GSP and Xenia even before I started this first attempt at a reef tank and they just sort of survive and not really thrive.......

And yes, That is a Tubbs frag and a single PPE polyp. Here is a shot of those I snapped just before lights out
MyChristmasFrags016.jpg

And a FTS
MyChristmasFrags017.jpg

Still trying to get better with the camera too ::)