• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Never a dull moment....

Woke up this morning to a power head that had disconnected from the glass tank panel. Facing directly at the sand it blew a whole in my deep sandbed, and pushed the sand all over my tank.

How bad is this beyond the obvious annoyance of redistributing and moving the sand off the rocks. I'm concerned that the mature deep sand bed released harmful gases & nutrients.

Any advice other than not doing a sand bed?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Check N & P; Start making water if you don't have a bunch already made; Prepare for a water change, if needed. Otherwise, you just might have made out alright. Please remind us, how old is the tank?

That's what I did with my last set up. Went bare bottom . I love it. My wife prefers the sand. But there are just to many potential issues with the sand.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What Paul said.
My newest tank, I put tile in the front and sand in the back. It just went thru a cycle now and has algae or I would take a pic.

I just had to do a modification to my tank. I removed my deep sand bed and put it in a bucket. Put the same sand back, and put my live stock right back in. Nitrates went up for a while. Got a little green hair algae bloom in the folowing weeks. The fish were fine and I think the corrals Actually like it better than when the water is clean. Now the green hair algae is finally going away. You might want to be ready for an algae bloom.

tank looks great mike m. I think I may have dodged a bullet, everything is balanced and no algae blooms at this point. but I probably just jinxed it

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
tank looks great mike m. I think I may have dodged a bullet, everything is balanced and no algae blooms at this point. but I probably just jinxed it

Glad everything is good.