• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 32g Cube Build

Hey NJRC, new to the group but getting back into the hobby. I had a 90g and 180g Reef tank a few years back and decided to jump back in with a small tank to start...plus I am spending a lot more time in my office so it give me a lot to look at! I'll keep posting pics of my build here but here are the basic components I am starting with. Just finished cleaning the tank and refinishing the stand. Any advice on running a NANO would be greatly appreciated!

Components:
32g Glass Cube Tank
Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue LED Light
IceCap 15 Reef Sump
Bubble Magus NAC3.5 Protein Skimmer
Eheim Jager TruTemp 100 Watt Aquarium Heater
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

Tank.jpg

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
looks awesome!

best advise is to not overstock with fish. research and make a plan for the fish you want.

That's a good size, do you have plans for an ATO? Also wondering if the Kessil 160 will be strong enough for that height. Guess it depends on what you plan on growing.

That's a good size, do you have plans for an ATO? Also wondering if the Kessil 160 will be strong enough for that height. Guess it depends on what you plan on growing.
Yes, one of the main reasons I went with the IceCap 15 SUMP is that it has a built in chamber for ATO. Still deciding on which ATO to purchase...Dont want to dive into a Full Neptune controller just yet.

As for the Kessil 160, I wrestled with the notion of getting a 360 but I would have had to use that at like 30% to 40% power...which is not a bad thing. I just overkill for the tank. At the end of the day, not looking to go crazy on the Coral side (SPS or LPS) so i settled in on the 160. plus I have the gooseneck mount so I can get the light a little closer to the tank.

Can anyone recommend a good heater? I purchased the Eheim Jager TruTemp 100 Watt and did not realize it was 12.5in long and the sump I have only has a max length of 9.8in. Any suggestions?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Can anyone recommend a good heater? I purchased the Eheim Jager TruTemp 100 Watt and did not realize it was 12.5in long and the sump I have only has a max length of 9.8in. Any suggestions?

Can you put it in the over flow ?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Yes, one of the main reasons I went with the IceCap 15 SUMP is that it has a built in chamber for ATO. Still deciding on which ATO to purchase...Dont want to dive into a Full Neptune controller just yet.

As for the Kessil 160, I wrestled with the notion of getting a 360 but I would have had to use that at like 30% to 40% power...which is not a bad thing. I just overkill for the tank. At the end of the day, not looking to go crazy on the Coral side (SPS or LPS) so i settled in on the 160. plus I have the gooseneck mount so I can get the light a little closer to the tank.

I personally would stay away from the Neptune ato they have a lot of issues.
I use tunze and never had a problem.
They make a tunze nano that should meet your needs.

As far as lighting I would tell you to get the bigger light. The 360we is a great light for that size tank and if you ever upgrade you can just add another light. The 160 will work for your tank but you can’t do anything with it in a bigger tank.

The 360x is really nice but expensive light.
You can get the same spectrum and power from the 360we for cheaper.

The AI prime are also a good scalable light and they won’t brake the bank.

But since you already own the kessil use that until it brakes.

Just a few updates.

1) Installed Skimmer - perfect fit!
2) Bought about 50lb of rock from a local guy that took down his tank 9 months ago when he moved to the area. Really dirty so I have it sitting in a bleach mix now. Going to let that dry off for a day or so and then soak in a light solution of Citric Acid. Any Suggestions on this part?
3) light installed. Had to mound the bracket backwards to fit over the lip of the aquarium. Thanks @DangerDave for the suggestion!

waiting on all of the plumbing parts and sand - hopefully I can begin assembly next weekend!

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Tank2.jpg
    Tank2.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 9
  • tanklight.jpg
    tanklight.jpg
    838.1 KB · Views: 9
Finally was able to get my rockwork done! lots of tunnels and different areas for fish/coral. Let me know what you think.

Also got about 1/2 of my water setup done...need to get a 2nd 35g tank for RO water

All Plumbing is complete so next step is filling the tank which should be done this week! More pics to follow.

Attachments

• water1.jpg
    water1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4
  • rock4.jpg
    rock4.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 5
  • rock3.jpg
    rock3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 5
  • rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 4
  • rock1.jpg
    rock1.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 2
Ok, took a bit longer than I expected. After filling the tank last week I realized the main bulkhead in the overflow had a crack and was leaking water...its amazing how impossible it is to find a 1.5in Bulkhead locally so after ordering online and being delayed, I finally was able to get the tank running last night. Currently breaking in the skimmer (tons of micro bubbles) and cycling the tank.

Quick Update on Hardware:
Hygger 100w Titanium Heater
Hydor Centrifugal Universal Pump L30 - 320 gph
CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand 20 lb

Attachments

• tankfull.jpg
    tankfull.jpg
    830.1 KB · Views: 5