• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 40 breeder

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Well im now part of the nano crew,broke down my 120 and went with a 40 breeder.
Lighting is a 8 bulb T5 fixture,sump is the ETSS Protein 400 with a quietone 4000 return pump and 1 K3 for movementFish are 1pr.mated salmon island percs,1 misbar clown,mated pair of purple firefish and a 10 year old royal gramma.Hees a FTS:
Picture206.jpg

More pics will follow as I stock the tank.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice tank.. love all the rock!.. How is that quiet one 4000 and K3 working out for water movement and what size sump?

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
sump is about 20 gallons,the quietone is moving about 1000 gph so between the 2 pumps I have some serious flow....
Bax with all that light Im concerned about keeping chalices again not too many areas to keep them shaded.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
reefsandrotts said:
sump is about 20 gallons,the quietone is moving about 1000 gph so between the 2 pumps I have some serious flow....
Bax with all that light Im concerned about keeping chalices again not too many areas to keep them shaded.
wow 1000 gph! I have a 40 breeder and i can only set up a 10gl sump under my stand.. Im going to use a Mag7 return (427 gph) with head loss in mind with 2 maxi jet 1200 with a 1600 Maxi-Jet Upgrade Kit with a red sea wavemaker pro controller.. I was up in the air about overkill with flow but if you have 1000 gph flow and things are ok Im going to set up the sump next weekend .What with the chalices i just did some reading on them and yeah they seem not to like high lights.. If you live anywhere near Lacy township there is a pet store that has some nice flat lace rock...maybe you could use some to make shelves for shade?.. Just a idea :)

That's great flow Jim. I can't keep acans either cause of too much light, never tried a chalice though. You may need to take out some live rock to make room for growth! ;)

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Hey Bax
Acans are on the top not much flow but TONS of light and they love it,I have some shaded areas for chalice but not too many.No more rock for me,I will tint plexi glass and shade areas if need be the flow since its bare bottom I have no detris pockets.

Hey buddy you're gonna need to find a new tank for one of those clowns, 2 clown limit per tank, or at least at a 40breeder size 2 is max.. 2 are gonna pair up and kill one in the end..

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Anthonyjiz said:
Hey buddy you're gonna need to find a new tank for one of those clowns, 2 clown limit per tank, or at least at a 40breeder size 2 is max.. 2 are gonna pair up and kill one in the end..
These clowns have been together for YEARS no problems here...They school like chromis, my clown life is good..... 8)

You think if i get about 2-3 clowns and add them all at once when they're SUPER small baby's that they would be fine for my 40 breeder?

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Some new frags from Mr.James Roth... 8)

Picture214.jpg

Picture212.jpg

sunset and poker need to color up some but good PE.
Cant seem to get a decent one of the poker,but you get the idea... ;)
Also got a elkhorn and cap will post them later on afterI take a pic.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Well time for an update,
I added 1 more k3 so now the tank is really rippin with flow and everything is way more than happy about it.
Santa brought my kids a 2" powder brown tang that they wanted and he just loves hanging in the flow,
if I turn off the 2 K3's for feeding he wont eat,turn them on and look out he rips apart food like a great white shark ,I will try to get pics. of him when he settled in.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Heres the flow loving powder brown,in both pics he's in a flow zone of at least 700 gph.Now I see I should have cleaned the glass first. ::)

Picture231.jpg

Picture232.jpg