• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 65G Tank

Hi everyone. Its been a while since I've been on here. I have a 65G Tank (36"x 18"). Its drilled with a 20 Gallon sump. I want a pair of Maroon clowns with an anemone. I have a around 50 lbs of rock. Its not alive. I also have a protein skimmer. I have a few questions. I'm in no rush and I am willing to wait to get the tank running properly.

1. How long should the tank be running prior to putting in an anemone?
2. How is LED lighting for such a tank? I have a 250W metal halide fixture (need a new ballast). What wattage will the anemone require?
3.Should I put the fish in first before the anemone?

Thanks

Will

Hey Will,

If I am not mistaken, your tank has a center brace. I would try to stay away from a single bulb MH fixture as it will surely melt the brace - this happened to me. I ran a 36" 1x150w mh fixture about 3-4" over the tank. I would look into t5's maybe 6-8 bulbs for your tank and that should be more than enough for an anemone. LEDs should also work. You can probably get away with two pendants such as kessils. You can also use a single radion but you'll have to be creative when it comes to hanging it. HTH.

Praveen