• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

new acquisition

I picked up this mimic octopus on 4/3 after drooling over him for a couple weeks. The store owner ordered just an "octopus" and this is what he got so I'm trying to convince myself that this is a rescue. I ended up trading a few acro frags for him. I've wanted an octopus few a long time and have been reading up on them for a few years. I also know about them being possibly endangered so you don't have to yell at me about that (that's why it took me so long to take him). He's doing great and has been eating both live and frozen shrimp. His head is about an inch long and his outstretched arms measure about 8".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW5hWl9GkHk
you can watch it in HQ if you like.

That is beautiful and like you said you did not order it specifically ,I consider it a rescue and a great find. Lots of luck and post up some photo's please.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow! That’s pretty neat. Not sure about the diet of this little guy, but from my diving days in Florida I can tell you that the “common” octopus down there love shellfish. You knew there was a home of an octopus because of all the conch shells scattered around a hole. Accordingly, I’d be a little concerned about my CUC. Have you noticed any of your inverts MIA? The common octopus has a mouth part (I think it’s called a radula(sp?)), that is able to drill a hole in the shell of a snail/conch. Through this hole it injects digestive juices that irritate the snail causing it to come further out of its shell. The octo then grabs the little morsel and eats it up.

He's in his own 30 gallon tank that's tied into a 230 gallon system. And the tank is sealed TIGHT.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I am glad you went ahead with the octopus. I will be checking in on this thread to watch your progress.

This is absolutely awesome Greg!! If you successfully keep it, you should be real proud of yourself.

Even in the state aquariums, when they have a prime exhibit like a giant crab or an octupus, they usually have duplicates of the animal so that it is not stressed out. [I got to know this when I was volunteering at Camden]
You don't have that luxury, so dont overdrool and stress it out ;D. (J.K.).

Wish you the very best of luck with the endeavour. Your success story would be a good inspiration to many.

P.S. Got to make a mental note to attend the meeting that happens in your house :)

Thanks guys. ;D Here's a couple pics...

IMGP0959.jpg

IMGP0793.jpg

IMGA0795.jpg

IMGA0802.jpg

IMGP0801.jpg

WOW, that is one cool critter. It looks more like a creepy space alien than anything I've ever seen, except an actual creepy space alien!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I know the MA part of MNAT already posted, but I have to tell you, WOW! that is by far one of the neatest octipus I have ever seen, congrats!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
WOW is right!

If anyone can be trusted to give the critter it's best possible chances in captivity, Greg is among them.

Thanks for sharing.

Since it doesn't appear he's really trying to blend in the pics or video, wouldn't that indicate he's basically stress free at those moments?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RichT said:
Since it doesn't appear he's really trying to blend in the pics or video, wouldn't that indicate he's basically stress free at those moments?

It is not known what triggers their mimic reactions. However they have never been witnessed to mimic in captivity. Nor is their natural diet or needs really known. The only thing really known about this species of octo is that they require a lot of room to move around. Their natural home range has been documented at around a 1/4 mile for a single specimen. They are not really sedentary like most octos.

Good luck with him Greg.

Thanks Rich. I think I'm more stressed than he is. I went on vacation last week and had a webcam set up so I could keep an eye on him.

Anthony - I'm just feeding him live and frozen ghost shrimp. It's really neat to see him pounce on the live ones. I put a small emerald and a few hermits but he doesn't seem interested.

I'm uploading another video right now.

panmanmatt said:
RichT said:

It is not known what triggers their mimic reactions. However they have never been witnessed to mimic in captivity. Nor is their natural diet or needs really known. The only thing really known about this species of octo is that they require a lot of room to move around. Their natural home range has been documented at around a 1/4 mile for a single specimen. They are not really sedentary like most octos.

Good luck with him Greg.

Hey Matt,
When I put the grabber thing in the tank he raises up on two legs and seems to display like a lion fish. I'll try to get a video of that. I have a small area of deep sand but he doesn't seem interested in burrowing in it. I wonder if they only do that when they're threatened?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's cool if you can truly get him to mimic. Him raising up could just be a defense reaction to make himself appear larger. When they truly mimic it is really hard to tell them from the real thing.

The mimic species are some of the most intelligent and least know about species of octos. Unfortunately their is so little known about them, including their actual population numbers. They are one of the slowest reproducing species of octo pus. Most females only have 1-2 eggs at a time.

I know you didn't order this one Greg, but anyone else even thinking of getting one please don't. It is highly possible that the mimics will disappear in a few short years if they are continually collected.

panmanmatt said:
The wunderpus and mimic species are some of the most intelligent and least know about species of octos. Unfortunately their is so little known about them, including their actual population numbers. They are one of the slowest reproducing species of octo pus. Most females only have 1-2 eggs at a time.

I know you didn't order this one Greg, but anyone else even thinking of getting one please don't. It is highly possible that the wunderpus and mimics will disappear in a few short years if they are continually collected.

I absolutely agree Matt and I really had a tough time ethically with this. I'm still not sure if I did the right thing but the alternative was to leave it in less than ideal conditions at the store or maybe let him be sold to someone that hasn't done as much research on that as I have.