• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Additions

Added a small scoolh of chromis to the tank . I plan to add about 10 more,a little at a time . My poor tang is all confused and now thinks he is a chromis and schools around with them .
chromisis.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Chromis are very low bioload fish, much unlike tangs which are a high bioload fish.

Thanks for the concern with the size guys but its fine . The tank is a five gallon nano and I think three fish per gallon should be fine ... :eek:

j/k The total is 105 gallons and I will probably be removing the tang soon . I also do 5-10% water changes weekly,run a bit of a wet skimmer,phos reactor and carbon . Along with a chaeto fuge and 35 -40 lbs of live rock rubble in the fuge.

LOL.

That is cool. Just wondering how big the tank is - so I could imagine the school. Neat!

I'm probably going to go the route of cardinalfish to serve as my school. They don't have the color of chromis but I've read that they are a bit hardier. Good luck! I'm looking forward to the 16 (my math is awful) - you have 6 in the pic (duh) and plan to add 10 more.

I have six now but one is looking a little iffy . I would like at least 12-15 when all is said and done ,but would be happy if I can get 10 healthy ones. I would of loved a mixed school of anthias but $$ couldnt do it . I saw a group of cardinals in a tank on one of the websites and they looked really nice together .

qwik said:
I have six now but one is looking a little iffy . I would like at least 12-15 when all is said and done ,but would be happy if I can get 10 healthy ones. I would of loved a mixed school of anthias but $$ couldnt do it . I saw a group of cardinals in a tank on one of the websites and they looked really nice together .

You'll have to post pics when you get that bunch. Love to see them. I'm impressed you got all your fish in one shot!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I love a nice group of tank bred (now there's a hot topic, eh?) Banghaai Cardinals! We had a troup of Chromis for a long time and then just like *snaps finger* that, they all disappeared, one at a time over the course of about a month.

nice.. we have a school of 4 in the 55g and i plan to add a decent size school to the big tank and some other type of schooling fish.. they seem more natural in pairs or groups

Phyl said:
I love a nice group of tank bred (now there's a hot topic, eh?) Banghaai Cardinals! We had a troup of Chromis for a long time and then just like *snaps finger* that, they all disappeared, one at a time over the course of about a month.

Phyl,

Have you seen this work? I would love to do this too but in my 120G, the paired ones would beat on everyone else. In fact, they would actually go into the hiding places to make sure all others knew who owned the tank.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We've had good success with a large group of Chromis (6), but haven't tried yet with Banghaai. We have 4 Pajama now, but they're not as much fun (nocturnal).

Did you have that problem with the Banghaai?

First two weeks 4 lived together fine. Then one day, I couldn't find 2. I saw one had crammed himself up against glass and a rock. Thought to myself, that is strange. He must be stuck. I freed him only to see him do it again. He had very labored breathing and that is when I saw the largest male banggai would come every few minutes and beat the **** out of him. He also did it to the other one that was hiding. I eventually gave these 2 away. 120G is still not big enough once they pair off. I think only way to school them are if they are all juvis or all females. They're wild caught (in case you forgot my other thread). 2+ months and they still will only eat live food.

Also it should be noted I didn't have much luck with chromis either. I originally had 3 and they were schooling fine. One jumped out and died. I've tried to replace but the remaining pair appear mated (though I have not seen them spawn). The male will defend his female as much as any other species I have seen. I might try adding a whole bunch at once but I don't really want any more chromis at this point. Way too aggressive eaters (they now learned that pippettes sometimes deliver food) and I got enough of those already.

Has anyone kept chalk bass in a school? I was really thinking about it...all my fish are individuals at this point and after my firefish out of the tank I realize that jumpers need not apply.

ReeferNets, yes.....it's in another thread somewhere but I bought 4 banggai and was told they were CB Banggai. Maybe the 2 I gave away were CB because they did eat frozen brine but the 2 I kept will never eat frozen anything.

Not to hijack qwiks thread but CB banggai Cardinals fall under the same rule as ORA fish man. Most of the ones you recieve that are captive bred are inbred. I also know that this one of the easiet fish to breed.

How were you able to determine they were CB or WC. The food thing doesnt seem like a determining factor many fishy are picky with food CB OR WC.

I actually think the opposite is true. I do not know of any CB or TR fish being finicky eaters. There aren't very many CB marine fish to begin with but all of the ones I can think of will take flake/pellet. They should take frozen at the least. Notorious finicky eaters like mandarins, butterflies, some angels, only the mandarin is bred in captivity.

Observations on my existing pair:

Live blackworms (they smell the food to make sure they are alive before eating)
Live Baby BS (eat heartily)
Live tiggerpods (eat heartily)
Live BS (voracious appetitite for these)
Frozen blackworms (ignore)
Frozen BS (taste only after 4 days no food, otherwise ignore completely)
Krill/Shrimp (ignore)
Frozen Mysis (ignore)
Freeze dried anything (ignore)
Pellets/Flakes (ignore)

I've had these for over 2 months. I thought I saw the light at end of tunnel once but they went back to boycotting non live.

CB Banggai are different in my opinion than the other ORA fish we discussed. These are actively endangered and captive breeding or complete non collection are the only ways to preserve this species.

Are you soaking any of the frozen foods in garlic or selcon?

Also give it enough time calaxa you will have misbar cardinals. Also its exatcly the same as ORA. Thats why ORA breeds clowns to stop collection. Dont be fooled just because clowns come in from the wild doesnt mean that there arent restrictions on their wild collection.

CB banngais are brothers and sisters, no matter how you look at it they are exactly the same as ORA's fish, no matter what the circumstances of their collection or endangerment. This will lead to the degredation of the gene pool and lead to misbars.