• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Additions

I dont consider it a hijack,just good reading so keep it goingif you wish . Im down to five now like I thought,the five look healthy so far time will tell .

I think chromis are more aggressive than people let on. I've inherited mine with the setup and saw that they do pair off at night. There are quite a lot of spats going on during the day. I think that there is an inclination towards an alpha male in charge of a harem. That is just my experience though. All the chromis I have had have "battle scars." It could all be due to rough handling/collection as they are cheap fish and collectors probably don't care how they are handled.

JRWOHLER said:
Has anyone kept chalk bass in a school? I was really thinking about it...all my fish are individuals at this point and after my firefish out of the tank I realize that jumpers need not apply.

I've read with interest that this is one the few species you can keep in even numbered groupings - the author (Tim Hayes) preferred groups of 12 or so. Interesting fact - each one possesses both male and female organs!

Good luck finding these - i don't think I have ever seen one at any of the LFS.

Hawkeye said:
JRWOHLER said:
Has anyone kept chalk bass in a school? I was really thinking about it...all my fish are individuals at this point and after my firefish out of the tank I realize that jumpers need not apply.

I've read with interest that this is one the few species you can keep in even numbered groupings - the author (Tim Hayes) preferred groups of 12 or so. Interesting fact - each one possesses both male and female organs!

Hmmm Will had one. I have seen them for sale at saltwaterfish.com but never bought anything from them. Do you remember where you saw the article?

Sorry about the chromis they are sorta tough to keep alive.

ds4x4 said:
i spoke too soon missing a chromis now down to three.. Hmm..

Do you see signs of fighting? Is another species picking on them? Like I said, I find that they do squabble amongst themselves and everyone, including relatively docile fish like banggai or occelaris pick on them as well. They don't defend themselves well except within same species.

JRWOHLER said:
Hawkeye said:
JRWOHLER said:

Hmmm Will had one. I have seen them for sale at saltwaterfish.com but never bought anything from them. Do you remember where you saw the article?

Sorry about the chromis they are sorta tough to keep alive.

sept 2007 aquarium fish international.

I keep my old issues (at least the articles I liked).

calaxa said:
ds4x4 said:
i spoke too soon missing a chromis now down to three.. Hmm..

Do you see signs of fighting? Is another species picking on them? Like I said, I find that they do squabble amongst themselves and everyone, including relatively docile fish like banggai or occelaris pick on them as well. They don't defend themselves well except within same species.
no even he one smaller than him is still there as is the one with some kind of fungus.. i got some mardel anti fungal to QT it tonight.. I have a pair of True Percs and a watchman Goby.. I didn't notice the other chomis picking on him.. I dunno