• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New DSA 105 gallon rimless inbound

I have a new dsa 105 rr tank and stand inbound plus 2x radion pros. I am out of my damn mind lol (I know why I did but that's another story).

Good news is that the tank will be in this Thursday to my floor lvl apartment (xwife has my err her house that's another story) in Marlton. Bad news is that it's Thursday at ?? time. Buddies are either at work or unavailable. Saturday I would have people but bit too late.

I might have a coworker stop by and help if he's in the area. Does anyone know if ups freight takes "tips"? Or are they just drop and go?

On a side note I will have a 57 gallon rimless for sale also maxspect 160 watt 10000k and other items. Tank breakdown start Friday and stuff should be ready by Saturday. I will donate money to the forum shortly so I can sell however, if either of these items interest you pm me.

It's big and inbound:

1.jpg

I will need some luck with this.

-paul

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Upgradesa are always fun. What are the dimensions of the tank and stand?

The tank is 48l x 24w x 21h. 105 gallons. Thankfully I have someone to help bring it in. The switch over will be a pita because it's going un the same spot as the 57.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Same advice I gave in the other thread, start breaking down the 57g now. Get everything into temporary holding containers with heaters and powerheads. They can live like this for the next few days no problem, just monitor water conditions and whatnot. Do you have a lot of coral, no coral, fish only? Have the 57g down and the spot cleared so you can just setup the new tank and go from there.

Use new sand
Check your rock work for pests or algae and put in the tank accordingly (get your new rock, cycled would be much preferable in this situation)
Use Dr. Tims to speed up the cycle
Place live stock back in.

Same advice I gave in the other thread, start breaking down the 57g now. Get everything into temporary holding containers with heaters and powerheads. They can live like this for the next few days no problem, just monitor water conditions and whatnot. Do you have a lot of coral, no coral, fish only? Have the 57g down and the spot cleared so you can just setup the new tank and go from there.

Use new sand
Check your rock work for pests or algae and put in the tank accordingly (get your new rock, cycled would be much preferable in this situation)
Use Dr. Tims to speed up the cycle
Place live stock back in.

Yes, but what if the tank comes in cracked? I have no idea of the what the condition of the tank will be in after shipping. I have montipora, Stylophora, Acropora millepora and acropora sp. Fish: Venustus angel aka purple mask angel, neon goby, pacific redstripe hogfish, Macneill's Assessor Basslet. Snails, fighting conch and a black nudibranch for my inverts. I rather not lose this livestock in a brute container but I get what your saying :)

I have 100 lbs of oolite sand ready to go (all new). I am reusing all the water so it will be like a 50% water change give or take. Using the current live rock and don't plan on adding. Trying to avoid a large cycle, by adding new live rock I would be increasing the odds for that to happen.

Tank plans are to include a bean animal overflow inside the overflow (google this: DSA NEO 105 Rimless, Mixed Reef ) I will be copying that. Also using most of my current gear except lighting which I hope to sell.

I have been using prodibio and also use ecobak bio pellets at 50% of recommended amount (prevent coral bleaching). I will trash the current pellets and replace with new ones once setup again.

Granted, I have been in the hobby since 1989 it is amazing on how methodologies on keeping a reef tank change over the years and I am always open to new ways of doing things :) However, pre-tearing down my current tank with livestock before seeing the new tank's condition is not one of them. In fairness, I did not post my current status of my 57 so some of the suggested ideas made sense. If I only had fish with no coral I might take that risk.

I have four days to complete the task. Anyone in the market for a 57 gallon rimless an maxspect lighting I woul love to move both out asap once converted.

Update: I have to pickup the tank since ups would not deliver the tank until Monday the 28th, but the tank is set to arrive at the depot thurs the 24th. It will be two trips with my grand cherokee, hope this works out lol. I already took vacation days 24/25th and have my daughter next weekend (11/1) so it must be done this weekend!

-Paul