• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

new fish?

i know this is really personal preference but im interested in peoples ideas for a new fish. currently i only have 2 clowns (corals,inverts, RBTA too) i eventually want another tang of some sort (maybe a gem tang but i was leaning more towards a black tang, lol yea..right ::) )but want to wait further down the road to stock it to attempt to avoid aggresion. tank is alittle shy of 90 gallons ( but 5 feet long ) with a 40 breeder sump.
any good ideas for a next new fish? thanks.

personally ,I would go with a Kole tang.They have incredible personalities. They get along with everyone and they are good looking .they are very fun to watch.

yea, i know eventually i want to add a tang. not 100% sure which kind ( def cant afford a gem or black lol )

the tang is going to be down the line though just because i dont want issues adding things if i add the tang now. im thinking a wrasse of some sort or something else. thanks for the ideas.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Did you think of adding an angel? It could be added before the tang as far as aggression level goes. The only thing would be to make sure the tank is up long enough to have algae for the angel. With a 90 g tank you could pick some beautiful fish.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jon. If you're interested in a NASO. I have one you can have. I already caught him and put him in the nano.

I love this question.
There is absolutely no right answer ;D. But a whole bunch of good ones.

First I commend you for figuring it out first. We have all probably have had a fish we wish we didn't get.
Fish2-1-1.jpg

OK well he has calmed down since the upgrade but you get the idea.

Other suggestions for your fish tomini tang, convict tang, and or one of the dwarf angels like flame, pygmy, or coral beauty. I love tangs and the kole, tomini, and convict are three good choices for that size tank.
You saw my naso in the 120(that is supposed to be the minimum size tank but) so depending on the shape of your tank and the size of Mike's naso you might get away with it. I for sure wouldn't put the two that I have in your tank but if you have a tomini or kole plus slightly bigger one you should be OK. Try to avoid ones with the same shape or coloration including if you go with some angel. Convicts are a nice choice that get overlooked.

Watch if your tank isn't covered if you go for a wrasse(there are some super nice ones but my tank is just not right for them). Dr Jim has some nice ones pretty cheap.

Blennies are very interesting our starry blenny is very fun to watch. I liked my pygmy angel too till it jumped(think all the dwarf angels are cool and while they peck at everything it usually doesn't amount to much if well fed). Davids garden eels are pretty cool. Cardinals are pretty relaxing. Chalk Basslets, chromis, anthias, and some dartfish you can have a few of if you want to try to get them to school.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JRWOHLER said:
I love this question.
There is absolutely no right answer ;D. But a whole bunch of good ones.

First I commend you for figuring it out first. We have all probably have had a fish we wish we didn't get.
Fish2-1-1.jpg

OK well he has calmed down since the upgrade but you get the idea.

Other suggestions for your fish tomini tang, convict tang, and or one of the dwarf angels like flame, pygmy, or coral beauty. I love tangs and the kole, tomini, and convict are three good choices for that size tank.
You saw my naso in the 120(that is supposed to be the minimum size tank but) so depending on the shape of your tank and the size of Mike's naso you might get away with it. I for sure wouldn't put the two that I have in your tank but if you have a tomini or kole plus slightly bigger one you should be OK. Try to avoid ones with the same shape or coloration including if you go with some angel. Convicts are a nice choice that get overlooked.

Watch if your tank isn't covered if you go for a wrasse(there are some super nice ones but my tank is just not right for them). Dr Jim has some nice ones pretty cheap.

Blennies are very interesting our starry blenny is very fun to watch. I liked my pygmy angel too till it jumped(think all the dwarf angels are cool and while they peck at everything it usually doesn't amount to much if well fed). Davids garden eels are pretty cool. Cardinals are pretty relaxing. Chalk Basslets, chromis, anthias, and some dartfish you can have a few of if you want to try to get them to school.

I have a flame angel and love it. I was steered away from the pygmy when I bought the flame (Will/AO - not reef safe it will pick at zoas). No problems at all with the flames behavior.

Bob

I think all the diminutive angels are similar.  My pygmy never bothered the zoas...the hairy mushrooms once in a while, I think he wasn't too bright and thought they were worms. ::)  Flames are beautiful though too.  If you don't feed them they maybe would pick more, but that goes for the lot of them.  And each individual can bring good and bad to the table.  Will is good with fish so you might want to take his opinion over mine, it is certainly a valid opinion.

Let me say I had two fish jump a firefish and the angel and I miss the angel a lot more.

Think that the pygmy angels are a bit hardier then the flames for what it is worth.

i think the small angels get a bad rap, i like them especially the flame angel. i had a flame angel that i thought was picking at my Zoas but it was actually picking at the detritus not the actual zoas....it's the detritus and micro algae not the coral that they are trying to get to. A tomini tang would be a great choice for that size tank, they are small and stay small. i think max is about 5".

good luck
harry