• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New fowler fish

This is for the mrs tank. She also would b happy with an angler but definitely a lion will go in
So snowflake, puffer or angler

Twisteds 180 Reef

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
How big is the tank? There are some cool looking anglers out there. I know nothing about compatible though.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very cool looking. I think it's gonna be a frog and a lion

Twisteds 180 Reef

Be very careful mixing these 2 types of fish. They both will eat anything that can fit in their mouth, which is roughly the size of their own body. Which means, they can try to eat each other which would result in death. Both of these fish have very slow metabolism and shouldn't be fed foods larger than their eye as a rule of thumb. Anything larger could take too long to digest which would result in the foods rotting in their stomachs before they could digest it. This results in a really sick fish or even a dead fish.

Personally I would do one or the other and not risk mixing them.

I had once ordered a lion and an angler from an online retailer, for different tanks, and the person put both fish in the same tank to await shipping as it was a Friday when I ordered and they wouldn't ship until Monday. Well Saturday evening I get a phone call telling me that the angler had eaten the lion. Sure enoufh he sent me a picture with the lion's tail sticking out of the angler's mouth. Needless to say I didn't recieve either fish.

Well...... Kinda late. Already on our way home with the lion and a tiger angler. Hopefully my scenario doesn't end in tears.

Twisteds 180 Reef

I'll try to keep them fed properly to avoid disaster and maybe tie in a cube next to the other and separate them.

Twisteds 180 Reef

I hope you have better luck than most people that get anglers.From what Ive seen they are not fish that live long in captivity.And I agree with Matt on what he posted.Wishing you great success with both the fish you got and post pics if ya can and keep us updated on the progress...

Thanks. I just introd them to the tank and fed them immediately and they both ate a fish that I had gutloaded with cyclopeze. They are both fat and healthy and I guess I'll include them in my prayers at night. Hope i can keep them for a while.
458d5636-56a3-8ec8.jpg

Twisteds 180 Reef

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Len, great looking fish. Did they tell you what species of lion that was? It doesn't look like any of the dwarf species to me. Which in that case it will outgrow that 30 cube in no time and will get large enough to eat the angler.

As for keeping anglers long term, they need a mixed diet of foods like silverides, shrimp, clam and other meaty foods. Be sure to feed it small meals and not more than 3 times a week. Over feeding is the biggest reason they don't last long for folks. The lion has the same feeding requirements so you're in luck there.

Good luck with them and be sure to keep us updated. If you want some good info on keeping those fish check out http://www.lionfishlair.com/. Lots of great info there.

Thanks so much! I plan to feed them by hand as much as possible, and was successful with the first feeding. That way I can control overeating. The lion isn't a dwarf but I can't remember if he said the type or not. I kinda purposely chose a lion that will outgrow the tank because I'd like to upsize to a 110 high or a 90 cube. I can see myself getting attached to these two. I'll check out the link. Thanks again!
458d5636-7b45-4ccd.jpg

Twisteds 180 Reef

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Please don't feed by hand for your safety. Use tweezers, tongs or a feeding stick. Lion dorsal spines are venomous and they are a very fast fish when they feed and a huge risk of you getting stung.

Well I would start cycling that upgrade now because lions grow fast. I'd say 4-5 months at the most and you'll be needing that bigger tank.

I used tweezers. Don't worry, I don't wanna get nailed. I've heard too many stories of it happening.

Twisteds 180 Reef