• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Lights Need help

Buying three new 250 watt single ended metal halide bulbs offline somewhere, just dont know where or what kind to buy. Price isnt a big deal well 75 would be top i would spend per bulb. Im looking for 14-18k color temp. Links or sites where i could get them would be great or off a sponsor or something. I dont really know about brands and stuff so thats where i thoght you guys could help out. Thanks guys.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
XM's are good. I've had luck with 12K Reflux in the past but have switched to the new IceCap bulbs and really like them (and they're a sponsor!).

i just saw xm's on a tank they were 15k's and they did look terrible. sooooooo happy i didnt get them yet. Gonna check out the reflux's now

do you think 12ks are still going to have that yellowish look i really love my tank being a bluer color i have two 6' vho's but they dont change the color too much =/

If you want blue then a 20k might be more to your liking, radiums are good, XM's are so so. With the 12k you shouldn't see any yellow more of a white/blue

Im not really sure if 20k bulbs are going to be toooo blue though. Just checked my bulbs to find that the ceneter one is an USHIO 10k (soooo dam yellow YUCK!) and the two sides are XM 15k's. Im not loving the XM's haha. Im really happy i did this and reasearched before i bought. THe XM's arent bad dont be me wrong and they are older bulbs to I think but there kinda.... dim... and very white. So XM's are definitally out im looking at radiums icecap and reflux now. I dont want to really chance 180 dollars on 20k's and be stuck with something i dont like. It wouldnt be blue like an atinic right?

just checked out some pictures of 20k's and im really liking the look i saw some 10k next to 20k bulb comparisons and I really like the bluer look alot more. Just gotta decide on a brand now.

If you want to see a tank in person with radiums, I believe Stan (smcooler) still runs them, he has the best tank in the state so even if he doesn't it's worth the trip to see his tank and maybe pick up some frags ;)

Im thinking about just getting Ice caps from the group by and being done with it. OG II is a pretty far drive for me I got to find out if someone is going down there from north jersey to pick up there own stuff and could grab mine while down there. Least it would cut the trip down alot =/