• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New maxima clam help

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I had a clam once. I tried putting him at the top (high light low flow) but he kept kicking himself off. He liked the sand better (I even tried putting him on a rock in the sand and find him off the rock) Now he only lasted about 6 months for me. I had a small guy so I wasn't feeding him correctly (small/young clams need to be fed. larger/older clams can go without being fed as long as everything else is good) and I was still new to the hobby so I rushed the clam. I do hope to get another one soon but just have not seen the right one yet.

I like ESV Dried Phytoplankton there is a powder one and a small bit one I like the powder better.
Good thing is you got a clam that is the right size really, above 3 inches you have a much better chance of survival. I have two clams one is 9 years old and one is 8 or maybe it is 8 and 7....I don't remember...in any case starting size is important. Maximas do better attaching to rockwork if you can place something flat under or they sell little man made holders that they can latch onto they have better chance of survival. The thought is the opening they have for the foot can let in parasites or other baddies if not attached.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I like ESV Dried Phytoplankton there is a powder one and a small bit one I like the powder better.
Good thing is you got a clam that is the right size really, above 3 inches you have a much better chance of survival. I have two clams one is 9 years old and one is 8 or maybe it is 8 and 7....I don't remember...in any case starting size is important. Maximas do better attaching to rockwork if you can place something flat under or they sell little man made holders that they can latch onto they have better chance of survival. The thought is the opening they have for the foot can let in parasites or other baddies if not attached.

Agree. I was told under 2in but 3 is a good rule as well.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
When I had my clam I had him under LEDs (Kessils) but my clam didn't last too long. I don't believe my LEDs had anything to do with his death but my newbie to clams and the hobby and wasn't feeding him correctly (he was a small clam) or my water levels were not correct for him.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've kept a derasa and a maxima clam in the sand bed under reef breeder leds without issue. Tank was 24 inches deep, leds were about 16 inches above the water line.

When I got my clams I had T5....the MH group said that wouldn't work....switched to LED few years ago never saw a change.
I think feeding is key, phytoplankton is natural food for them. I tend to keep a "dirty" tank with lots of nutrients. My derasa has spawned a few times, which I understand can be problematic but my tank manages to deal with it.

PS the mantel should be extended if not then either something is picking on it or it is not doing well.