• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New or Used

Looking to upgrade my 120 to a 180 or 220. Am I better off buying a new tank and stand and possibly buying a headache. Or are used tank and stands just as good
Thanks
Jose

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I’d look around for a used tank and reseal it then build a DIY stand.

I found my 90g for free. Silicone was good so t didn’t even need to be resealed, and I built my custom stand for around $200 including sheathing and paint.

The only reason I’d go new is if you’re looking for a strange size or dimension or if you want built in overflows and starfire glass or acrylic. For a normally sized glass tank, used is probably a better move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
A 180 is a pretty standard tank so I bet you could find a good deal on one. The 220 you might have a bit more trouble on. Most fish stores will sell new tanks at cost, so it is at least worth taking a look and getting some quotes.

Maybe this goes without saying, but the cost of any tank at that size is minimal compared to support equipment and running expenses. I had a custom 240 built, cost $1500 I think. But I spend that much every year on electricity for lights and pumps. I've probably spent $3000/year on food, equipment, livestock, etc, every year.

Moral of story, get the tank you want, exactly the tank you want. It's one of the smallest expenses. This hobby drains you dry, might as well have Starfire.