• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Plasma Lighting Article

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I guess I'm going to have to sell my LED lights now.

I like the powerheads; "Water flow was provided by two 1.5 HP electrical outboard motors."

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I heard that smcooler is now running a plasma over his grow out tank and it is quite impressive.

The main knock on plasma is the color. When plasmas ramp up to %100 the spectrum is like 6500k which we are no longer used to. When they ramp down they get a bluer tinge to them but you would need to run supplementation if you wanted them around 100% and you actually saw them. Also the price on these is still pretty high especially the ones with supplemental bulbs and ballasts.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
I run LED's and I compared my "perceived" growth rates to his charts. Seemed pretty accurate. Especially the Monti and candy canes.

Just like anything else. New technology will drive down the cost of the old(LED).

I run LED's and I compared my "perceived" growth rates to his charts. Seemed pretty accurate. Especially the Monti and candy canes.

Just like anything else. New technology will drive down the cost of the old(LED).
Plasma lighting isn't really a new technology. There were fixtures out the same time the original AI LEDs came out. I looked into them roughly 3 years ago, but at that time it would have ran me close to 10grand for what I wanted. I don't recall the company that made the lights but they said they already had fixtures on some public aquariums for 2 years before I contacted them. I can only imagine what that cost.

smcooler

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
im running lep over my main tank with a slight amountof led to give it the 14k look, light is the same k as the sun, growth is off the chart. i ramp up and down 180 mins full output only 4 hours very blue from 20-80 pecent. the plasma fixture is from stray light optical tech.

stan