• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Reefer, coupla equipment Q's

Hello, I'm a new reefer, located in Hamilton, NJ. 2 years ago I started reading up on reef keeping everywhere. reefcentral, nano-reef, etc etc. I was a wuss though and decided to go w/ a 75 gallon Oscar tank. I set it up, he's huge and going strong.

I finally decided all the reading in the world won't help me learn the hobby unless I jump on in, so here I go. After days of research below is a list of equipment I plan to purchase.

28 Top Fin Bow front tank w/ center brace 24" x 12" x 19" (bought already)

Outer Orbit 24 inch Fixture 1X150W HQI w/T-5 Lamps (Aquabuys)

PureFlo 2 50GPD RO/DI Water Purification (Aquabuys)
or
OCEAN WAVE+ FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI (from www.thefilterguys.biz)

AquaC Remora Hang-On Protein Skimmer w/ Drain Fitting + Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump (marinedepot)
or
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump (marinedepot)

(3) Hydor Koralia Circulation Pump 1 or 2? (marinedepot)

A Refractometer

Stealth 100w heater

Salt

Arag-alive or other "live" sand?

Cleaning Magnet

Testing Kit

Containers to store Ro/Di water & saltwater

Building a stand

Live stuff eventually

My questions are these:

1. The tank I purchased has a brace down the middle, will this really interfere w/ the Outorbit light?

2. I'm choosing this light so that I have the option to keep whatever I'd like, I'm starting w/ easy stuff, but I keep reading how addicting this hobby is & wanting to upgrade. Is this light adequate (note, I can't really spend more than I already am at this point)

3. Ro/DI units, I want one. I like the sound of the stuff at thefilterguys.biz and have read good reviews, however the shipping would be 29$ & I'll be gettin free shipping at marinedepot. Is there a big differance in the 2 units? Is it worth spending 29$ on shipping?

4. I don't understand Sumps, overflows, the plumbing involved etc. I will get help one day. It sounds like I do want a skimmer though, the two listed, what's the differance to me? I don't quite get it. I do need hang on back and other than that it's Greek to me. It got good reviews though.

5. Pumps, going Koralia, lots of good reviews. I can't afford Vortech and such at this point. I bought a Koralia 1 to put in my saltwater storg container, should I go w/ a pair of Koralia 1's or a pair of Koralia 2's for the tank? or of each?

6. Refractometer. Originally I was going w/ a cheapie Dr. Foster Smith one, after searching around I read bad reviews that it becomes uncalibrated constantly. I'm willing to spend more on one, I just have no clue which. thefilterguys.biz has one for 99$ is it worth it?

7. Heater, my basements cold, a 100w should be ok? I run I run a pair of 250w stealth's on my 75 oscar tank, it's overkill i'm sure.

8. I know I need live rock & sand. www.yourreef.com has fiji live rock at 4.50/ lb free shipping. I also plan to ask on njreefers.com for rock. Sand though is another question: is Arag-alive and such found in plastic bags in the store the "live" sand I need to start? Could I toss 30 lbs of it in my tank and be done w/ it and it'd have little critters in it?

9. Testing kits. What brand?

That's it. I plan to build a stand which I may do a thread on. I'm super patient when it comes to this, I'm willing to let the tank go for months w/ nothing in it or just rock before trying fish. I did a fishless cycle w/ ammonia on my 75 and someone elses filter sponge, it took forever but is worth it in my opinion. Any advice on my listing above is appreciated. Did I leave anything out, etc? I don't mind flames either as long as they're constructive.

Ps: I also have a new 20 long, I bought the bigger tank for the 24" footprint for lights as the 30" on the 20 had super limited options. Also more water, slightly more forgiving.

Thanks!
-Ian

become a member and get a deal on something here. it will be the best couple of bucks you will invest IMO.

your def. going to want the best skimmer you can shell out and afford. maybe save up some extra cash while you wait for someone to sell a quality used one on here. a skimmer is the life of the system.

to be really basic a sump just adds more water volume to your system, gives a place to hide equipment and get it out of your main display.

i got a refractometer off ebay awhile ago for $20-30, seems to work great. API has decent test kits, salifert and elos seem to be better but come with a price tag, your going to want at the minimum alk, ca, mag, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp, and the refractometer. your also going to want suppliments to dose for alk, ca, and mag.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not sure where you're located, but most people in the forums sell rock for 3-4$ per pound so you may want to check around here first.

I wouldn't buy a koralia 1 for anything. Not nearly powerful enough of a throw. I'd go with 2 #2s.

I second the ebay refractometer. I've had mine for 4 years and it works fine.

Someone here has a RO/DI shell for 20$. Then you just need to buy the filter parts. Otherwise look on ebay for Filter General.

The brace won't bother the light throw. That light would suffice. It would probably be cheaper to buy retro-fit parts rather than a fixture (unless you won't have a canopy), but most new folks shy away from that because it seems complicated. For the record it isn't nearly as complicated as it seems!

Heater you'd be better off with 2 @ 75 rather than 1 @ 100 (for the same reason you run 2 in your other system, I'm sure).

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Welcome to the club and yes it is addicting. Your lighting will be fine for your tank when you upgrade down the road. The difference between the skimmer is the drain fitting which goes around your powerhead and draws water off of the top of your water line which is supposed to help skimming because that is where most of the protein is. I love the AquaC, we have one on our thirty and just bought one for our 20g. The AquaC is a hang on back which means it literally hangs on the back of your tank so you do not need to do anything with plumbing and sumps. You can get to that stuff later on. Go with 2 Koralia #2, that is what we have on our thirty and it is fine. You do not need to spend 99$ for a refractometer. I have seen ones for 40-50$ that are all rated very high. Live rock can be found pretty cheaply out there and live sand is very good. Make sure you get the sand and not crushed coral, will save you down the road. The only other thing you might want to look into is a HOB refugium. CPR makes nice ones, we have ones on our 20 and 30 gallon. Just maker sure you measure the back of your tank to make sure they both fit.

Here is our thread on our thirty if you want to take a look.

http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=17718.0

Welcome

1. The tank I purchased has a brace down the middle, will this really interfere w/ the Outorbit light?
- You should be fine.

2. I'm choosing this light so that I have the option to keep whatever I'd like, I'm starting w/ easy stuff, but I keep reading how addicting this hobby is & wanting to upgrade. Is this light adequate (note, I can't really spend more than I already am at this point)
- You might want to get something stronger just incase you decide to upgrade. I'm a T5 person, but this boils down to you.

3. Ro/DI units, I want one. I like the sound of the stuff at thefilterguys.biz and have read good reviews, however the shipping would be 29$ & I'll be gettin free shipping at marinedepot. Is there a big differance in the 2 units? Is it worth spending 29$ on shipping?
- If you want one, which I recommend, than get it. If you do not want to pay for shipping, than buy a used one,locally.

4. I don't understand Sumps, overflows, the plumbing involved etc. I will get help one day. It sounds like I do want a skimmer though, the two listed, what's the differance to me? I don't quite get it. I do need hang on back and other than that it's Greek to me. It got good reviews though.
- I have the AquaC Remora HOB and its OK other than its loudness. If you are keeping your tank in a room where you watch TV, than I would look into another HOB skimmer. I've heard good things about the Octopus HOB skimmers.

5. Pumps, going Koralia, lots of good reviews. I can't afford Vortech and such at this point. I bought a Koralia 1 to put in my saltwater storg container, should I go w/ a pair of Koralia 1's or a pair of Koralia 2's for the tank? or of each?
- You are going to need more than that depending on what you will be keeping in your tank. Remember, you might want to upgrade your tank in the future.

6. Refractometer. Originally I was going w/ a cheapie Dr. Foster Smith one, after searching around I read bad reviews that it becomes uncalibrated constantly. I'm willing to spend more on one, I just have no clue which.
thefilterguys.biz has one for 99$ is it worth it?
- No its not worth it. Look around. You can easily find a good one for $30.

7. Heater, my basements cold, a 100w should be ok? I run I run a pair of 250w stealth's on my 75 oscar tank, it's overkill i'm sure.
- Its not overkill. You want two just in case one fails.

8. I know I need live rock & sand. www.yourreef.com has fiji live rock at 4.50/ lb free shipping. I also plan to ask on njreefers.com for rock. Sand though is another question: is Arag-alive and such found in plastic bags in the store the "live" sand I need to start? Could I toss 30 lbs of it in my tank and be done w/ it and it'd have little critters in it?
- Buy sand from the LFS and ask someone here to give you a cup of there live sand so that you can seed it. Depending on where you get your live rock, it will also have critters that can migrate into the sand.

- I like API and Salifert

You should think about becoming a member. It has its "PERCS". BUT .... Please Read below

"New Jersey Reefers Club is a non-profit educational society dedicated to the conservation of our ocean reefs.
Through an open exchange of ideas and information we are able to expand our knowledge and ability to care for the inhabitants of our aquarium systems. By encouraging propagation we help to reduce the demand for wild caught speciments and do our part to encourage conservation and preservation of our natural reefs." ;)

Thanks for the responses. I do plan to join, should be this week.

I definatly plan to check locally via this forum, craigs list, etc for live rock / sand once I have the equipment.

I definatly debated / am debating the 2 75's as opposed to the 1 100 heater. I like redundancy but also am afraid it's going to look to cluttered back there as is w/ powerheads and such, yes I know sumps could hide some of this clutter :)

Glad to hear endorsement for the AquaC. Read lots of good things about them and Octopuses but the Octo's I looked at didn't seem to be HoB even though some people indicated they were. I originally looked at the Prism HoB but after reading lots of negative reviews and that splurging on a good skimmer was worth it decided on the AquaC.

So 2 votes of 2 Koralia's 2's, good to hear, I thought that would create a tidal wave in there.

Ok, lots of no votes for spending 99$ on a refractometer, glad to hear, can put that money to use elsewhere.

Hm, hadn't consider a refugium, I'll have to research that.

Mnat, very nice looking tank, reading your tank thread now. Going to lunch, posting this ramble.

-Ian

yes it will, i personally encountered this problem, i upgraded to a 2x light fixture
IMO, 150 watts for 19 inches..probably going to be about 2-4 inches max above the tank..you will probably have a good 2 + inch sand bed..despite the center brace you should be ok. But since you already bought the tank, i think its best to change your lighting. Do you have a canopy for the tank? if so, have you ever thought about retrofit kits? I really do not know of any 24" 2x fixtures..otherwise 4 bulb t5s
not sure, but def get a RODI unit
both are good
+1 more water movement, i guarantee you will upgrade in the NEAR future..
6. Refractometer. Originally I was going w/ a cheapie Dr. Foster Smith one, after searching around I read bad reviews that it becomes uncalibrated constantly. I'm willing to spend more on one, I just have no clue which. thefilterguys.biz has one for 99$ is it worth it?
no way, ebay for sure i paid 35 with free shipping
def get 2..If I were you i'd get a controller just in case..Reef Keeper Lite its on sale for 99 bucks, controls your temperature..If your tank is too cold it will turn on your heater..If your tank is too hot, it will turn off your heater, turn on any cooling device that you have. I have my rkl to control my temp so that if it exceeds 85 degrees, it should turn off my metal halides. If my temp decreases below 79.6 degrees, it is to turn on my heater. if my tank exceeds 81 degrees, it is to turn on my fan. Def something you should invest in, you will feel a lot safer when you leave your tank alone for some time.

u do not buy any agronite substrate. buy fine sand. go to a store that sells play sand, get some, and seed your play sand with live sand from a fellow reefers tank/fuge. if you live nearby i will give you some..this live rock, is it cured? if i were you i'd buy live rock from different forums, you may get some cool hitch hikers..watch out for aiptasia and byropsis!

aiptasia first pic, second byropsis.
2008-05-26_114622_Aiptasia_sp2.jpg

medium

i dont like API, so if i were you id go with red sea..with API i have to test twice to be sure that i am getting the correct readings.
That's it. I plan to build a stand which I may do a thread on. I'm super patient when it comes to this, I'm willing to let the tank go for months w/ nothing in it or just rock before trying fish. I did a fishless cycle w/ ammonia on my 75 and someone elses filter sponge, it took forever but is worth it in my opinion. Any advice on my listing above is appreciated. Did I leave anything out, etc? I don't mind flames either as long as they're constructive.

Ps: I also have a new 20 long, I bought the bigger tank for the 24" footprint for lights as the 30" on the 20 had super limited options. Also more water, slightly more forgiving.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
premilove said:
yes it will, i personally encountered this problem, i upgraded to a 2x light fixture

I stand corrected and I agree. I didn't look closely enough to realize this was a single MH fixture. With a T5 fixture this wouldn't be an issue, but you DEFINITELY don't want the heat of a single MH directly over your brace. I've seen them melt a bit.

Phyl said:
I stand corrected and I agree. I didn't look closely enough to realize this was a single MH fixture. With a T5 fixture this wouldn't be an issue, but you DEFINITELY don't want the heat of a single MH directly over your brace. I've seen them melt a bit.

yeah i really think you should go with t5s since you got a center brace. plus the tank isnt that deep so t5s would penetrate to the bottom with out any diffusion.

Phyl said:
premilove said:

Ooops, I also made a mistake and didn't notice the single 250w fixture. Go with either 2 250w MH or T5's. GOOD CATCH Premilove

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Welcome to NJ Reefers. I'm right around the corner in Robbinsville.
The Hidden Reef usually sells live rock for $3 a pound. Not sure if you have been there yet they are right over the bridge in Levitown.

N

njstillwell

I personally wouldn't add play sand to my tank, its full of silicates that aren't going to do anything for your tank,but make you go crazy in the long run. Go to any NJRC sponsor and get a bag of live sand use this along with the cup from a fellow reefers tank to seed your sand but critters will grow in the tank just takes time.

ricwilli said:
Phyl said:
premilove said:

Ooops, I also made a mistake and didn't notice the single 250w fixture. Go with either 2 250w MH or T5's. GOOD CATCH Premilove

wouldnt 2x250s be overkill for a little 28 gal tank thats only 19" tall? 8x24 T5 fixture..Well lets stop for a second. When you upgrade, if you get a regular light fixture thats 24", you are going to have to purchase a tank thats 24" later, so you can use the same light..i think you should retrofit a canopy now..

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
2x250 would be WAY overkill. And the heat would be disasterous. T5 retrofit parts would give you the most upgrade flexibility later.

Edward771: I have not been there. Only place local I've stopped at was Pets Plus. I'm originally from South Jersey and drive my car like a slot car, it goes to work, and it comes home and to the local bar otherwise I just get lost. My wife however will show me where it is. Happen to have a cup of live sand to seed mine with when it's time :)

The outer orbit I was looking at has a 150w MH in the center and 4 T5's as well. The only other stuff in the T5 categories I can really see are basically Tek Lights and Sundial for 24" that are all 4x24w. 96 watts didnt' seem like enough, thus the 150+4x24. I don't have a hood, though I could build one, I think retrofitting a hood sounds like a great idea however electrical wiring scares me though and my electrician friend is practically impossible to get out. I haven't really looked at prices on them, I'll do that at work tomorrow, maybe it's worth me finding some help.

Premilove: I sort of figure even if I upgrade later I'd still keep the 24" tank so whatever light is over it would stay.

Say I just want Zoa's and ricordea in this tank, cleanup crew, 2-3 fish, 4x24 watt T5's should be ok than? SPS, clams, would be off limits i'm sure.

What website offers 8x24w ? Also what site had the reef keeper lite on sale for 99$?

Hmm, I just was looking at the MH retro kits. Hooking one up doesn't look to hard. Basically buy a reflector / pendant thing, plug it into a ballast, plug ballast into the wall? So to build a canopy just attach that stuff to the canopy, put some glass on bottom so it doesn't melt acrylic, buy some computer fans to vent heat, figure out how to wire those, add T5's if I want in there as well, good to go?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have a 4x24 T5 setup on our 20 gallon and we keep zoas and all different types of LPS in there. They are all doing fine with that light and the tank is a 20G tall. You might might might be able to keep some SPS in there if you have them high enough in the tank. If you are just looking for zoas and ricordias then the t5 setup will be just fine.

Buffalowing said:
What website offers 8x24w ? Also what site had the reef keeper lite on sale for 99$?

Hmm, I just was looking at the MH retro kits. Hooking one up doesn't look to hard. Basically buy a reflector / pendant thing, plug it into a ballast, plug ballast into the wall? So to build a canopy just attach that stuff to the canopy, put some glass on bottom so it doesn't melt acrylic, buy some computer fans to vent heat, figure out how to wire those, add T5's if I want in there as well, good to go?

yeah sounds good..

t5s
the 8x24 i found on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Aquarium-Light-T5-HO-8X-24-Reef-Lighting-bulbs_W0QQitemZ280316247706QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4144267e9a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A4|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-8X-24-T5-Retro-Brand-New-Lighting-Aquarium-Light_W0QQitemZ350212694926QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518a4da38e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A3|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Aquarium-Light-T5-HO-8X-24-bulbs-Reef-NEW-bulbs_W0QQitemZ280324356889QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4144a23b19&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A3|294%3A50

Reef Keeper Lite
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/