• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Reefer, coupla equipment Q's

Phyl said:
2x250 would be WAY overkill. And the heat would be disasterous. T5 retrofit parts would give you the most upgrade flexibility later.

I apologize Buffalowing for giving wrong info.
I'm going to have to stay away from this thread. I thought you were doing a 75 gallon but its running freshwater fish (that is strike two). I was at work when posting. Trying to read, post and work at the same time is not working.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Sounds like you need a GPS. Lol. There is another Store Right in Town All Aquatics that is pretty good. Sure I can spare some sand. IceCap is also right in Hamilton too. Its fun to go over there and talk about lighting. Let me know if your interested.

Buffalowing said:
Edward771: I have not been there. Only place local I've stopped at was Pets Plus. I'm originally from South Jersey and drive my car like a slot car, it goes to work, and it comes home and to the local bar otherwise I just get lost. My wife however will show me where it is. Happen to have a cup of live sand to seed mine with when it's time :)

The outer orbit I was looking at has a 150w MH in the center and 4 T5's as well. The only other stuff in the T5 categories I can really see are basically Tek Lights and Sundial for 24" that are all 4x24w. 96 watts didnt' seem like enough, thus the 150+4x24. I don't have a hood, though I could build one, I think retrofitting a hood sounds like a great idea however electrical wiring scares me though and my electrician friend is practically impossible to get out. I haven't really looked at prices on them, I'll do that at work tomorrow, maybe it's worth me finding some help.

Premilove: I sort of figure even if I upgrade later I'd still keep the 24" tank so whatever light is over it would stay.

Say I just want Zoa's and ricordea in this tank, cleanup crew, 2-3 fish, 4x24 watt T5's should be ok than? SPS, clams, would be off limits i'm sure.

ricwilli: It's ok, I think my wife would murder me if shot electric bill up w/ the 2x250's anyways, keep posting :)

Ed: Yeah my wife told me allquatics was near the circle to, looking at their website it sounds like they're moving, are they still open at the moment? I didn't know about icecap being in town, I'll be googling that in a second to see where.

http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aqua/...BLAZE&title=Fluorescent Lighting&type=product

Looks a lot like these which are the cheap version of the Tek lights.
Don't know if you need 8 bulbs on that small a tank, I know that ryan88 was selling his lighting fixture...actually whole setup really cheap.  I think 4 or 6 bulbs might work just fine.  Also since your tank is only 24 inches the fixture is not going to swap out well for a bigger tank.  Not to be a party pooper but most bigger tanks are going to be longer then 24 inches unless you get a cube of some sort.

I have these lights.
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/index.php?cPath=71_136
They also sell on ebay sometimes cheaper.

Placement of more light hungry corals is going to be key, if you put the coral closer to the top you can probably do SPS even. Koriala 2s are pretty darn good for the price will give them a thumbs up.

OK so check out what ryan88 has for sale(I think T5 and skimmer plus some other stuff for less then you would spend by far on just the lights)  Refractometer go to LFS or ebay.  I know you can get them for 45 bucks more or less locally.  Sand ...I like Drs Fosters online...they ship at flat rate so sand shipping is cheap ...go with something like 1 bag of live sand 1 bag of dry, and someone will give you some sand from their tank as additional seeding(or you can get some mud from the Navesink ..OH wait that is in the advanced section).  Check out the other specials from Drs Foster if you need heaters sometimes they are good priced, and you get shipping for next to nothing...sorry that you have missed this group buy.