• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Reefer Needs Suggestions

All - I have decided to start a reef tank. I know very little of how to start one however I have read to join forums and get sound advice from experienced people. The only decision I have made is that I want a tank that is 120-150 gallons. I am hoping to get suggestions on tanks, filtration, live rock vs. dry rock, lighting, cycling and quarantining...etc..etc. I want to give my tank the best chance for success. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Welcome to the forums. However, you will need to know more than what you state you do. There is advice available here and a lot of it but you have to start somewhere. You say you want a 120 - 150 gallon tank. What else? Have you looked into other equipment? What are your light preferences? What about livestock? What do you want to keep? What skimmer(s) do you like.

Make a list of what you want and post it. That is when the advise comes in on that being right or a wrong choice :)

Sunny

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Welcome!! The best advice can give is to take your time and do a lot of research. I have found that looking at a lot of build threads really helps. Find things you like about a particular tank and things you don't like about it. Take the good and leave the things you don't like. If you see a tank you really like try to model your tank somewhat after that. Most importantly have fun with it.

Welcome!! The best advice can give is to take your time and do a lot of research. I have found that looking at a lot of build threads really helps. Find things you like about a particular tank and things you don't like about it. Take the good and leave the things you don't like. If you see a tank you really like try to model your tank somewhat after that. Most importantly have fun with it.

Thank you! You are right about one thing, I have been reading for about a week and still have a ton more research to do. I already told my wife that I expect the tank setup project to go for a while, not planning on rushing. I look forward to hearing your suggestions once I post the list. Thanks again!

One thing you'll learn is that everyone will have a option from what light is best to shat salt is best, if Live rock or dry rock should be used. All are right answers for the specific person, it may or may not be right for you. There are a lot of ways to be successful but without patience I wouldn't even start. Be ready for new tank syndrome, you'll deal with hair algae and ever other ugly looking thing, then in a few weeks/months it will all go away. My current tank took 3 month of battle. Most quit this hobby within the first year. Read here and other forums, there is a wealth of knowledge, but in the end you have to make a decision.

First is to set a budget, then throw it out j/k, you can spend a lot or minimal and still have a great tank.

One thing you'll learn is that everyone will have a option from what light is best to shat salt is best, if Live rock or dry rock should be used. All are right answers for the specific person, it may or may not be right for you. There are a lot of ways to be successful but without patience I wouldn't even start. Be ready for new tank syndrome, you'll deal with hair algae and ever other ugly looking thing, then in a few weeks/months it will all go away. My current tank took 3 month of battle. Most quit this hobby within the first year. Read here and other forums, there is a wealth of knowledge, but in the end you have to make a decision.

First is to set a budget, then throw it out j/k, you can spend a lot or minimal and still have a great tank.

Thank you Trivan. Patience I have. I have wanted a setup for about 7 years, the time has finally come where it is right for me both financially and time wise to start a hobby I have admired for a very long time.

I look forward to just finding a good recommendation for a 120 gallon tank to get started with. I don't know if there are certain manufacturers that have better reputation than others. Glass or acrylic, etc..etc.

Depending on what your looking for you can get a nice glass tank which won't break the budget. Lots are sold used. I like glass, easy to clean, dont' have to worry as much to scratch. I went with starfire on 3 sides of mine, as I went for a custom tank (120 as well). First decide, if getting a reef ready tank is for you or do you want to drill it for a different set up. Most come with what they call a durso drain, they work, but can be noisier. I couldn't find anything for my build so I went with a custom peninsula with a herbie drain for silent operation. I wasn't very good on my tale of the tank, but there are things on mine. Just for reference, I probably spent 2-3 months planning my build and still changed things at the end...

Depending on what your looking for you can get a nice glass tank which won't break the budget. Lots are sold used. I like glass, easy to clean, dont' have to worry as much to scratch. I went with starfire on 3 sides of mine, as I went for a custom tank (120 as well). First decide, if getting a reef ready tank is for you or do you want to drill it for a different set up. Most come with what they call a durso drain, they work, but can be noisier. I couldn't find anything for my build so I went with a custom peninsula with a herbie drain for silent operation. I wasn't very good on my tale of the tank, but there are things on mine. Just for reference, I probably spent 2-3 months planning my build and still changed things at the end...

Yeah, if I can get one ready without drilling I would prefer that. I expected some noise with the tank running, just thought that came along with the hobby. How silent is your herbie drain?

Is your tank o the second floor? I was thinking about doing that. My wife said she is fine if I use our unfinished basement as an area for the tank and is also ok if I run plumbing through the floor behind the tank to keep equipment , quarantine tank, sump, refuge etc..etc. I just have to figure out how to set it up that way and have everything else a floor below it. Lots to consider.

Is your tank o the second floor? I was thinking about doing that. My wife said she is fine if I use our unfinished basement as an area for the tank and is also ok if I run plumbing through the floor behind the tank to keep equipment , quarantine tank, sump, refuge etc..etc. I just have to figure out how to set it up that way and have everything else a floor below it. Lots to consider.

Yes, DT is on main floor and everything else in the basement. I'd definitely go herbie or bean for the drain. Herbie is 2 pipes, bean is 3 for safety, but again, some say you need 3 others 2 is fine. I just put 3 holes right through the floor for the plumbing, and another to run the electrical for the MP40. Light is hung from ceiling with outlet in the Ceiling so I don't have hanging wires. I'll try to get so pictures in my tank thread sometime this week.
Btw - I'm a Mike too. The first person to help me here was Mike as well so I feel like I need to pay it back. Lol