• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Reptiles

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Yesterday I picked up a pair of Jackson Chameleons and my son got a Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python, mostly yellow in color.

That's been the trend for a while, ball python morphs make the money I guess. Idk, never was into them, too boring lol.

Last time I went to the hamburg show I came home with way more than I should have hahaha

So jealous of anyone that want to the hamburg show, I love my salt water tank but my love for bearded dragons is right up there.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Over the weekend I picked up a 12 inch Sulcata tortoise. Always wanted one and finally got one and to make it sweet it was free.

howze01

NJRC Member
Yes and yes Paul. They can get up around 2 feet and weigh well over 100 lbs. Certainly not a pet for everyone. They eat like a horse, dig like a backhoe and can outlive you, your children and your grandchildren. Nothing against Madreefer, I wish nothing but the best care and health for his, but in my opinion, not at all an animal that should be sold as a pet to the general public. 95% or more just aren't cared for properly. The good news is that Madreefer has always wanted one and that means to me that he has probably read it all and knows what's coming his way. Good luck!!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The good news is it seems to be a male. So hopefully won't get bigger than 20" and 70lbs.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Mark, just out of curiosity, because I’m not a reptile person, what do you do with a big tortoise in the winter? Can they stay outside?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Paul,
I have heard of people getting a rubber maid shed in which they light and heat it during the winter. Obviously that would be very costly. Right now I can keep this guy in a tank for this winter. I will build a pen in yard for summer. Next winter is another story. Some owners let them roam around the house during the winter and some how trained them to use a litter box. I do let walk around the house daily so its not cooped up all the time.

Oh I know my boyfriend and I used to go all the time but now its a tease, were waiting on getting our own house now!Then getting a bigger tank and a bearded dragon again!

I think the hamburg (or is it pottstown - northwest berks show but have venemous) show is now in oaks pa at the convention center next weekend.