• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New sediment filter in RODI unit is brown after making 25 Gal

Hi All...

I just changed my sediment and carbon filters in my 4 stage RODI unit. I noticed that the snow white sediment filter turned sandy brown after only 25 gallons. I don't remember it discoloring so fast whent I first got it. Does that seem normal?

I don't have a TDS meter, but I will order one next week just to check input and output. I suspect prior to me changing the filter I may have had a TDS issue and or phosphate issue. I can't get rid of the cyano even after weekly 20% water changes and cleaning out the sump. And now my one frogspawn has been partially retracted for a week now.

Phosphates and TDS were the only things I didn't have the ability to check. PH is 8.2, Nitrite, and amonia are 0. Nitrates are as close to zero as the API chart can register

That's about what mine does. My town is old as are all the town pipes. this also happens to me when the town flushes the fire hydrants. The last time I changed them I noticed that the brown wasn't fully through the filter. That said, the water coming in is only around 50tds.

Next time I change them out I'm going to add a 10 micron filter in front to catch the big junk.