• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Skimmer input

i am thinking about buying a new skimmer, i currently have a turboflotor multi 1000 on my 75g tank, its just not giving me the skimming i want. what kinda brands should i look out for? mods? gate valves (dont really know what they are)? gallons rated to? anything you could tell me would help alot in making this decision

so what is a gate valve and mash mod? could someone explain? i was looking into a aqua c ev120.. i found one pretty cheap whats the input on those..

i used an ev 120 for my 55 - worked great. My only complaints are:

takes time to break in

is sensitive (as in, put your hand in the water a lot without gloves and it will stop foaming)

collection cup is small (not a big deal, just connect some flex hose to the hole and dump the excess into like a soda bottle or something.

Otherwise - it produced a lot of gunk (using a mag 7). I liked the fact that there are no moving parts so maintenance is a breeze. You do have to clean the air valve every once in a while of salt creep - just unscrew it, use a q tip to dig out the crud and blast with some water and you're back in business.

Last comment - make sure you measure your sump/stand because if the stand is low - it might be hard to get the cap off the collection cup (or it will be a pain to remove the skimmer for maintenance).

MX160 or MX200.. pretty much the same thing as a ATI and Octo but better price/more reliable

Marine Solutions is where you can get them from.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use a Euroreef on one of my tanks. It's the best skimmer I ever had.
The gate valve mod is a nice add-on. You connect a gate valve to the output of the skimmer. This allows you to fine tune the skimmer. This can be added to most skimmers. I didn't like the mesh mod.The mod is where you add mesh to the pump impeller. It collected too much garbadge and rubbed once in a while.