• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Sohal Tang

I recently ordered and received a 6 inch Red Sea Sohal Tang from Absolutely Fish. so far, he has been a great addition to my 220 which has a Blue face, Queen, Scribbled,Flame, and Flagfin angels, Blue Throat and Niger triggers and e Heniochous butterflies... The Sohal so far has been a model citizen and a joy to watch..... Has anyone one had one that can give advice. I have read that their diet requires a significat amount of green food to avoid lateral line and hole disease...Appreciate it.....

The Sohal Tang is hardy, but susceptible to a disease known as Lateral Line erosion, or Hole in the Head. A vegetarian diet high in vitamins, especially beta-carotene can aid in the prevention of development of the disease. Stray voltages are also thought to contribute to this disease and the grounding probe may be beneficial.

Sohal Tangs are very aggressive. They should not be kept with other Tangs or Wrasse species. They tend to be well-behaved with old tank mates, but try to kill any new additions. They are only suited for large aquariums with other aggressive fish. They do fairly well in very large reef systems with no other Tangs, and plenty of swimming room.

thats from live aquaria good luck any pics?

Would love to see pics of thr sohal and the angels. been thinking of getting one but I already have a blond naso tang. good luck. :)

I will post some pics asap. Its been some 2 days and he has adapted exceptionally well and is eating like crazy. He(she) is not afraid of anything althogh he does get "finned" a bit by my purple tang. That said, the colors are outstanding which only get better with time I hope. Thanks for the Live Aquaria review. I will pay special attention to the needs..

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Might want to pick up some selcon food additive if they are know for HLLE, supposed to help. Brightwells amino says it helps with HLLE but have not heard that in actual reviews like the selcon. Both are pretty cheap and might be worth it for such a beautiful fish.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Just wanted to tag on there that Trop just got a few Sohal in and they looked amazing. Very healthy and the largest was like 4-5 inches. I have never seen Sohals that small and they were pretty amazing. Apparently getting shipments from the Red Sea is getting very difficult (they also had some realy nice purple tangs).

mnat said:
Just wanted to tag on there that Trop just got a few Sohal in and they looked amazing. Very healthy and the largest was like 4-5 inches. I have never seen Sohals that small

Wanted one for years but could never find them that small. Now that my tanks full they're around. Typical :mad:

Has been here now for 5 days and is a model citizen eating everything I put in the tank. No once have I seen him show any aggression although that may change as he /she matures Quite a spectacular sight to see swim in a 220........

I was over at John's today helping him out with some stuff and I took some pictures of the Sohal and.......some video of his 220 FOWLR tank!!

2010-02-06162336.jpg

2010-02-06162726.jpg

2010-02-06162416.jpg

2010-02-06162403.jpg

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/...on=view&current=video-2010-02-06-16-19-41.flv

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/...on=view&current=video-2010-02-06-16-28-13.flv

trigger99 said:
I recently ordered and received a 6 inch Red Sea Sohal Tang from Absolutely Fish. so far, he has been a great addition to my 220 which has a Blue face, Queen, Scribbled,Flame, and Flagfin angels, Blue Throat and Niger triggers and e Heniochous butterflies... The Sohal so far has been a model citizen and a joy to watch..... Has anyone one had one that can give advice. I have read that their diet requires a significat amount of green food to avoid lateral line and hole disease...Appreciate it.....
Trigger
how are the angels getting along? I currently have a blueface & and emperor in my 220. will be adding a queen and a french soon. would like to add a scribble or personifer in a few months. probalby as the last angel.