• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New tank choice

Hi all, I'll be upgrading my tank in 6-12 months so i'm looking to hear from the group on what are some good brands to look at. I'm looking for a standard 120g (48 X 24 X 24), rimless would be great but i'm mostly concerned with build quality. My current 60G cube has functioned fine but the silicone job was not the best.

So far I have looked at reef savvy tanks which are awesome looking but from what I hear are very expensive.

What other options are out there? Any local tank builders?

Check out Coast to Coast in Tom's river. I have no experience with them, but from what I've read onm the forums, they're expensive but their craftsmanship & customer service is top notch. Somebody with a C2C aquarium could probably chime in better

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
They are expensive, but C2C does build amazing tanks. I would call around to your local fish stores and see what deals are out there. I know AO and Trop offer some pretty outstanding deals on tanks. I think Trop still deals with a tank maker out of Texas that does very good work. Red Sea now makes an all in one style at the 120g level, but again you pay for it but it does look outstanding. I believe Elos also makes a rimless at that size but again cost.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
They are expensive, but C2C does build amazing tanks. I would call around to your local fish stores and see what deals are out there. I know AO and Trop offer some pretty outstanding deals on tanks. I think Trop still deals with a tank maker out of Texas that does very good work. Red Sea now makes an all in one style at the 120g level, but again you pay for it but it does look outstanding. I believe Elos also makes a rimless at that size but again cost.

120g are pretty standard tanks so you will have a lot more choices than a 60g cube and many price points.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I paid about $1200 for my DSA 105 rimless with stand, shipped. A cheaper option for you and I have no complaints. It all depends on your budget.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Don't know the truth, but I've heard rumblings that DSA has gone belly-up. If true, you might be able to find a deal, but realize it comes with no warranty.

Thanks everyone, I requested a quote from C2C so we'll see what comes back there and i'll look into DSA. I really like the Reef savvy ghost overflow, I was tossing around the idea of a standard off the shelf 120g (marineland?) using that overflow with bean animal plumbing.

AIO's are out, i'm going basement sump on this build. no more lugging buckets around and cramming everything under the tank.

As for budget, I have time so i want to make the right choice.

Don't know the truth, but I've heard rumblings that DSA has gone belly-up. If true, you might be able to find a deal, but realize it comes with no warranty.
I saw a post on that, I just assumed it was Deep Blue Professional, i'll have to look that article back up.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would stay away from DSA right now, i couldn't even get my plumbing kit from them for my 135. They are going through a restructuring, I asked if i would be able to get the kit down the road, the supplier said he had no idea.

I went with C2c for my build had a good experience, and yes it was expensive, but the build quality was what was expected. I had a 48x24x24 built with internal overflow on one end (peninsula style) for a herbie overflow, they had my steel frame stand built as well. I was considering RS with the ghost overflow, but I didn't want to deal with a vendor hundreds of miles away, and the wait times were pretty bad 1 1/2 year ago when I was ready to order.