• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New tank overflow advice

Planning to upgrade our 90 gallon to a 120 at some point so doing some planning research , the 120 is what I should have started with to begin with but that's another story. The question i have is internal single center overflow box , or a external overflow. What's everyone's opinions. The tank I am looking at has both options with a 3 hole internal box I would run bean animal and then have it drilled for 2 returns. Or should I run the external ghost overflow box configured the same way. What's everyone's thoughts on this ? Is it just personal preference or what is the real advantage other than space saving and looks. Thanks in advance

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
8F14C3DD-731A-46B5-9C61-3269679B4C90.jpeg
this is my overflow for my new 120 build.
it is from modular marine. E-bay
American made in Texas
It is awesome three drains removable skim box.
it is the second oneI have had last one was on my 180.
very low profile in the tank. In my opinion the only way to go.

View attachment 27549
this is my overflow for my new 120 build.
it is from modular marine. E-bay
American made in Texas
It is awesome three drains removable skim box.
it is the second oneI have had last one was on my 180.
very low profile in the tank. In my opinion the only way to go.
IMHO. Only way to go. Can’t think of one single reason To ever do it differently. Safe, efficient, better looking, smaller foot print, More space inside tank. There simply is NO down side in my eyes. I wouldn’t even consider a tank without it.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
In fact I’m so sincere about this. That if some how it became illegal to own one hahaha. I simply would not have a tank
Wowza!!!! That’s a man who loves his overflow LOL
I’m gonna draw up a petition to change mans best friend from a dog to a ghost overflow LMAO

Last edited:
I actually made my own overflow box.. when I upgraded my sump. Wanted a little more flow and a safety drain, which I didnt have prior. (And had a few close calls too lol)

Attachments

• 20191218_100146.jpg
    20191218_100146.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20200107_090617.jpg
    20200107_090617.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 15823139626207348564807750038880.jpg
    15823139626207348564807750038880.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
I think I may have 2 or 3 synergy reef overflow units in my basement. I'll have to take a look if your interested. They were gonna go on a tank my dad was building but decided to wait.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Thanks everyone for the replies. I was leaning towards the external , and seeing as how no one disagrees It helps make me feel I am making the right decision. That modular marine unit is nice.
Make sure you get the right size. When they say 1200gph they mean three 3/4” drains and if you go full syphon 3/4 is kind of small.
for one drain, one overflow, and one emergency.
they will up the bulkhead size for you if you ask.
or just buy a larger size.
good luck

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I had asked to have the bulkhead size changed and was told to go to the next size up.

The one I made for my tank, has a 1.5in bulkhead through the tank, and 3 in drains, 1 full syphon, 1 durso and 1 dry safety. Figured if one clogs, theres no way that the 1.5main through the tank will flow more than the box can drain. plus the weir in the tank can only handle so much flow as well

DangerDave

NJRC Member
If you have the space, I agree with everyone here that you should go with the external one. The only thing better would be having a scupper box built for the tank. It's just a bunch of holes drilled, with a grate in front that flows into the external box. Same as the 3rd party ones pictured above, but no inside box.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Wow th
The one I made for my tank, has a 1.5in bulkhead through the tank, and 3 in drains, 1 full syphon, 1 durso and 1 dry safety. Figured if one clogs, theres no way that the 1.5main through the tank will flow more than the box can drain. plus the weir in the tank can only handle so much flow as well
wow that’s big pipe. For a 120 shouldn’t need anything that big. Hot big is definitely debatable, the chart you usually find online (reef central) says that 3/4” pvc will only flow 400 gallons full syphon and 1” 600gph full syphon I think it’s much more. But I’m no mathematician and can’t say for sure.

I honestly think 1" full syphon is closer to 800gph depending how much its gated to create the syphon. But wide open I'd say easy 900. And my 1.5in is only what feeds the box from the tank. Not the actually drain sizes.
Wow th

wow that’s big pipe. For a 120 shouldn’t need anything that big. Hot big is definitely debatable, the chart you usually find online (reef central) says that 3/4” pvc will only flow 400 gallons full syphon and 1” 600gph full syphon I think it’s much more. But I’m no mathematician and can’t say for sure.