• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New tank overflow advice

Salted

NJRC Member
are you sure you can't drill it? I'd check side panels, those are usually not tempered.

as far as baffles, I found some 10g tanks I cut up and used. I have a lot of glass left over. you are welcome to a few pieces if you like.

as far as return pump goes, I would get a jebao or just whatever. flow in sump shouldn't be very fast anyway. you can get away with as little as 225 gph. they used to sell some $20 pumps at Petco. imagitarium 300 gph I think. that would probably be fine.

look around for a used ASM skimmer. I've bought a g2 and g3 very cheap. g2 would be more than enough for you
I can probably drill the back but the tank is up and running. Couldn't even get a drill behind it if I was brave enough to lower the water level and take the risk.

Appreciate the offer of the glass but tbh I like the simplicity of the kit. I know I'd quickly lose interest in measuring and cutting glass. Made to fit with socks included glue and go https://www.amazon.com/Fiji-Cube-Re...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RYJWB8ZPQD9WY209QHW2

Was thinking jebao. already checking amazon. The pump I'd prefer to buy new.

Yes I will be going used on the skimmer. Of the ones you posted the aqua maxx makes the most sense but still a 2+ hr drive for me. Maybe they'd ship. Anyone close to that skimmer that could pick up, look it over and maybe ship if the buyer won't ship? I'll keep running my hob until I find the right one comes along.

Last edited:

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I was thinking about going with the modular marine myself for the 40b or marine depot overflow which is alot cheaper and also bigger footprint.

Salted

NJRC Member
I was thinking about going with the modular marine myself for the 40b or marine depot overflow which is alot cheaper and also bigger footprint.
My marine depot overflow just showed up if you want to have a look at it. I’m at 07834. It’s going to be a while before it’s all set up.

I would go with the cheaper or if you can find used but never used or slightly used if you know what I mean cause most of this stuff is money down the drain. anything used in this hobby fetches less than 50% of original cost if it is in pristine shape.

unless this is your dream tank and you plan on keeping it for 20 years. btw Marine Depot brand overflow box is great quality I've bought a couple already. some overflows get in the way of the rim. use spacers instead of cutting the rim. spacers would be on the outside.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I would go with the cheaper or if you can find used but never used or slightly used if you know what I mean cause most of this stuff is money down the drain. anything used in this hobby fetches less than 50% of original cost if it is in pristine shape.

unless this is your dream tank and you plan on keeping it for 20 years. btw Marine Depot brand overflow box is great quality I've bought a couple already. some overflows get in the way of the rim. use spacers instead of cutting the rim. spacers would be on the outside.
Thanks for the advice iam leaning towards the marine depot or making one myself but I think marine depot would be cheaper

deepblue68

POTM Winner
Iam thinking about ordering this for 20.00 from eBay and seeing what I might have laying around for overflow boxes I think I have an old u tube style overflow box somewhere

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201202-105140_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201202-105140_eBay.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 2
Also for those that are interested Fiji makes really nice overflow boxes and they have awesome customer service. When I was looking at one they answered all my questions right away where as some others totally ignored me.