• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New tank set-up Complete minus aquascaping

None of this is glued yet so if you see something please LMK Does the bulkhead look high enough and is it's placement look ok? I only have one shot at drilling :-X

233_10_03_07_3_29_39_0.JPG

233_10_03_07_3_29_39_1.JPG

Re: Bulkhead placement

Using this configuration and a Mag 9 return,
RC gave me this for head loss

Total losses are 7.55 feet of head pressure, or 3.26 PSI. with a flow rate of 607 GPH.

Is it acceptable ???

233_10_03_07_7_55_42.JPG

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Re: New tank set-up Please check back for questions I have?

Looks Great Francis!

I think that's acceptable for a return. Just get some powerheads for flow inside the tank. That's where it matters the most.

That second picture, where it shows the skimmer...Is that the position the skimmer is going to be in? I only ask because the pump will be sucking up a ton of bubbles from the skimmer output right there.

Just my .02!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

One drain that's acceptable. If the tank has 2 you'll be under-fed.

Looking forward to more progress pics!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

I think it's a single corner overflow, so he "should" be fine.

malulu

NJRC Member

you can use a 90 inside the sump's bulkhead to bend it downward, to prevent less bubble and reduce the whirlpool effect.

suggest you use these UNION-BALL-VALVE (Lowes have it), not sure if you have space left to fit it in, otherwise, if your pump have problem later, you may need to drain all the water out of your sump before you can remove your pump... (or, you could stuck something from inside your sump before you disconnect your union).

good luck...

02.jpg

Hey Francis, I used a mag 9 on my return, and the RC calc, and I have about the same setup with my plumbing. The only difference is that my vertical goes all the way to the top of my tank, then "T"s off to 3 outlets (all 1" pipe) and I have to dial the mag 9 back about 25% with only one 600gph overflow. I haven't experienced any issues from doing this, just my 2 cents FWIW. I was considering dropping back to a mag 7, but I'm going to upgrade the tank, so no need now. ;D

You can kind of see the plumbing in this picture:

http://www.kemmcosolutions.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=3834

ReefDrumz said:
Looks Great Francis!

I think that's acceptable for a return. Just get some powerheads for flow inside the tank. That's where it matters the most.

That second picture, where it shows the skimmer...Is that the position the skimmer is going to be in? I only ask because the pump will be sucking up a ton of bubbles from the skimmer output right there.

Just my .02!

I'm actually waiting on a skimmer stand, it will be placed 90 degrees from the current position.

I've also decided to place a check valve where the ball valve is now. Move the ball valve lower as I have drainage pipe running perpendicular at almost the same height as the ball valve.
233_10_03_07_7_55_42.JPG

Got to run back out to Lowes in the morning ::)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

sinkingbeach said:
ReefDrumz said:
Looks Great Francis!

Just my .02!

I'm actually waiting on a skimmer stand, it will be placed 90 degrees from the current position.

on the schedule for tomorrow.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

How does he keep getting bumped into the schedule?! HUH!?

:D

Phyl said:
How does he keep getting bumped into the schedule?! HUH!?

:D

I have a very unhappy wife at home, I'm 3 weeks behind schedule, living room is a mess, and somehow $900 over budget(according to her) :eek: ;D

Here's my current configuration nothing glued yet so comments are appreciated.
233_11_03_07_2_26_54_0.JPG

Everyone needs a helper ;)
233_11_03_07_2_26_54_1.JPG

233_11_03_07_2_26_54_2.JPG

233_11_03_07_2_26_55_3.JPG

233_11_03_07_2_26_55_4.JPG

Looks good, if you need more flow I would replace the 90's with 45's, overall nice setup.

Skimmer test/break-in, keep in mind it's not dialed in, it's going to be raised 6 inches, and placement will be different. Look at all those microbubbles :eek:
233_11_03_07_8_50_59.JPG

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Skimmer stand is in the truck. See you tomorrow.