• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to forum

Looking to get involved in a local forum. Live in Ridgewood. I am starting to set up a new 105 gallon reef. My first reef tank. Tank on order (3 weeks to arrival) Went with a Ecosystem 3612 refugium. May need help in the plumbing setup.

Hello BlueTBird,
well you are on the right track. The tank you choose is a good size for a newbie, and the ecosystem is a nice piece of equipment. Have you given much though to what type of tank you are going to keep. FO/ FOWLR/ Reef and if it is a Reef then are you going to do softies, LPS, SPS, or mixed. Personally, I went with a mixed reef. I ask these questions do to the fact that your lighting will mandate what you keep. So if you don't know, watch out for what lights you get. My tank runs over 1660 watts of lights, making my electric bill through the roof. But I do have a pretty tank. This club is throughout the state of NJ, and we have a good mix of people. Our next meeting is on March 21st at Seatopia in North Jersey if you would like to attend you will need to contact the host and let him know.

To join you will need to contact BobCReef at star55@comcast.net to pay dues of $12.00 for the year.

Tracey

I would like to go with mixed. My lights will be 175W MH with VHO Actinics that run the length of the tank (48 inches). Very interested to hooking up with folks in this area. Since I am new to Reefs (I have been doing salt for many years) I will need plenty of good advise. Would love to attend your meeting, but am not familiar with the area it is in. The folks are great at Ecosystem, I've talked to Leng and he is full of info. Thanks for getting back to me.

Rich

tbird, I work in Ridgewood very frequently. I'd be happy to help you with any questions or if you need help with your plumbing etc. If you have been doin salt for awhile then you should be fine making the transition to reef.
This months meeting is a little differant then most. Usually they are held at different members homes throughout the state (you attend those which you are able) and just like any other gathering you got some eats, lot of tank talk, trading livestock and equipment, things along those lines. this month it is going to be at a newly opened fish store. Much the same plus whatever the store may have in mind. They are giving 10% off cards to those that attend. So that may help you if need equipment. You are more than welcome to carpool or follow me if interested. It is about 30 min from Ridgewood.

Seastar,

I may take you up on your offer on help and the meeting. I have to see if I have to work that day. But will need the help. All this new equip sitting in my basement is a bit intimidating to set up. Tank is on order. I'll keep you posted.

blueTbird said:
Seastar,

I may take you up on your offer on help and the meeting. I have to see if I have to work that day. But will need the help. All this new equip sitting in my basement is a bit intimidating to set up. Tank is on order. I'll keep you posted.

We have a good group, I'm not so close to you but if I can help you out with anything just let me know.

It sounds like some good folks here. Nice to have people close. My tank is on order, should be shipping in a few days. Have most of my stuff. Ecosystem 3612, pump, heaters, salt, RO unit. Need to get that going this weekend. I am using the tank (105 gallon) as a room divider. I am waiting on the carpentar to start the work on the cabinets around the tank. He should be starting in the next week or so. I have to decide where to get my rock, off the internet or local (route 4 are pretty good folks) Route 4 tells me that they get cured rock (6 weeks cured). Not sure what to do. Have been looking at Tampa Bay Saltwater for rock, like what they do. What have others done?

get uncured and cure it yourself. First it is cheaper, after all why pay $8.99 per lb and you will need about 150 lbs, that would cost $1350.00, now online 2.99 a pound you would be paying 450.00 plus shipping and handling. Personally, I would buy it online and have it shipped to the airport where you pick it up, and save some money for fish later on. Rock can be one of your most expensive purchases as far as your tank goes. As for your sand, go over to Home Depot in Paramus and get some Southdown playsand. It should be in the outdoor section I believe where the pavers are now. Once you get these things in, Give the board a shout and we will provide you with a cup of live sand to seed your sandbed and refugium. :) When you get the rock and sand in the tank with saltwater and a protein skimmer, don't go and turn on the lights right away. Actually if you have windows in the room where the tank is housed and it is a bright room, I would cover the tank up for the first week and slowly start giving light to the tank.

Tracey

I agree with tracey, I would purchase most of my rock online. The quality is so much better and cheaper. I was going to purchase some TBS rock because I liked all the life that is preserved on the rock but got talked out of it because of the bad critters that are so often associated with and the fact that it is so dense. The Figi rock or similar is a very porus and lightweight rock with many varied shapes. Or you could go for a mixture of figi type and TBS to get the best of both worlds.
Post a WTB ad here. You may luck out and get some good deals. couldn't hurt. Also buying uncured rock is great and it can be used to cycle the tank. However if you are going to cure it all in your tank in your Living room be prepared for some stench. Many hobbyist will cure the bulk of uncured rock in a rubbermaid in a garage or basement and only some in tank for cycling and seeding.

I have been on the TBS web site. I like what I see, I probably will be going with their package deal. I should be getting the tank in about a week or so. Have most of the other equip. I am not going with a protein skimmer. I am using the ecosystem, which does not need one (or so I will find out) Probably go with 1 inch of sand (more for looks). I will be posting my project with pictures. I will be using the tank as a room divider (105 gallon). Ordered the tank with Starshire glass on the front and back.

I just sent my reg form in to join the club. Looking forward to meeting some of you face to face. When is the next meeting? I missed this months.