• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to the hobby....hello to everyone and some questions.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Warren

I have 20lb LR that I can give you for $60 if you want it.

Let me know.

Sunny

Yep I think I paid 3 bucks a lb for most of my rock from a fellow reefer.  Trop has base rock which is heavier but less expensive, live rock is about 6 bucks a lb I think.  Marco Rock which can be great shapes ect is dead which means no goodies or baddies but you have to cure it.  Less expensive per lb because it is dry.  Other LFS are about the same think the one piece I bought from Red Sand was little less but cannot remember exactly.  You can also check out Manhattan Reefers because there are more people there getting out of the hobby so you might find something there.

www.manhattanreefs.com/

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Trops live rock goes from 7 to 11 bucks a pound depending on what type. Again, you can get it cheaper elsewhere, but they do have really good live rock.

vangvace said:
LR prices can vary greatly from where you get it and the quality of the rock. Getting it from a fellow reefer is normally a more cost effective way to go at <$4 a pound.

Give be a week or so and I should have some cheato for you and a kenya tree frag.

Vangvace, that would be great! Please message me when available. Thanks!

N

njstillwell

If you are driving around go to aqua oceans. Steve is the guys name great guy.Good selection most of the time on fish/Coral/clams/inverts.He gets the order and usually that day or within 48 hours the order is gone.Its a small store not like trop but has very good info about nanos. And has the best prices on fish around tell him you are from njrc and he will help you out.Its located on rt 9 in toms river. If you are coming from colts neck i work at Earle naval base go down the pkwy and get off the exit for rt 70 west.Go 70 west to rt 9 south about 2 miles or so on left will be the store. Its a house no seriously it is if you pass AC HESS trucking you have gone to far. let me know how you make out and take it slow with nanos. Get used to having a small tank for saltwater i.e. water tops offs how often and how hot the tank gets during the days.Keep a note pad and make notes all the time.And welcome to the club lots of good people around......

I was at Trop today and I saw a selection of LR that was 12 bucks a lb. I think it started with a "M?" Can someone tell me what that live rock is and what benefit there is to having it?

Also, if you want to go to a store that has extremely knowledgeable staff and great reef stuff, try absolutely fish in Clifton, NJ. They are notorious for being overpriced but have good stuff.

john90009

NJRC Member
Live rock is live rock- what makes one live rock better from the other is how porous and how much holes and crevices are in it- the more water that can get through the rock the better of a biological filter it could be- You can find live rock from members selling theres- getting them from stores around here is way to expensive- i got my live rock from a friend and from a shipper from florida so when i got the rock i had to let it soak in new saltwater with a skimmer so it cleaned itself out and little critters could repopulate it.

NanoreefChris said:
I was at Trop today and I saw a selection of LR that was 12 bucks a lb. I think it started with a "M?" Can someone tell me what that live rock is and what benefit there is to having it?

Also, if you want to go to a store that has extremely knowledgeable staff and great reef stuff, try absolutely fish in Clifton, NJ. They are notorious for being overpriced but have good stuff.

The one that's $12/lb at Trop is Kupang LR.