• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

new **used** MP40 - wetside magnet CRACKED

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bob, not sure I agree with you. I'm sure there are issues with any product on the market and it's just a matter of (bad)luck when you get a damaged product.

I've had an MP40 for almost 2 years and never once had a problem with it. In fact, I originally bought an MP20 (used I might add) and then upgraded the controller to the MP40WES and I still don't have any problems with the original wet side. It's been working harder than it was originally designed for and no issues whatsoever. I will likely buy EcoTech wavemakers from now on because I love the way they are designed.

Hey, I've seen people buy brand new cars and whether they are the expensive models or the cheapos... some still have electrical problems and whatnot in the first month of ownership. All this means is that ANY "production line" based product can have issues depending on the circumstances during it's manufacturing. It could be a bad batch of parts from the manufacturers supplier, or something like the "magnet boy" got mad that day and broke all the magnets before installing them. Maybe it was just the shipper not handling them carefully before they get to the stores or the purchasers house? I have no idea why there are a bunch of people replacing the wetsides on these but there are probably 100 satisfied customers for every 1 that had a defective product. It's just that you hear more about the bad things because those are the ones who feel the urge to say something. Most happy customers are content and don't say anything unless they are asked (or unless they see a forum thread like this.) :D

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
They appear to be good pumps. Strong (too strong for my 90) and quiet. The new wetsides seem to be substantially improved and getting them for magnet cost was a good deal and showed that they stand behind their stuff. I would have liked the magnets for $12 from '08 and rebuild myself but I'll take this deal given what I paid ... :)

Glad they came thru for you - although in my opinion they should not have charged you anything for something that MAY have been the result of bad manufacturing.

Although if the guy who sold you the equipment had been up-front in the first place - there would have been a lot less stress/gnashing of teeth of this whole ordeal.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Glad they came thru for you - although in my opinion they should not have charged you anything for something that MAY have been the result of bad manufacturing.

Although if the guy who sold you the equipment had been up-front in the first place - there would have been a lot less stress/gnashing of teeth of this whole ordeal.

Yeah, I wish I had gotten it for no charge – or at least the $12-14 that they did when the problem first surfaced. I guess their point was that it was functional but the design improved and the cost of the R&D for the improvement is reflected in the increased pricing.

As for the guy who sold it to me. Well, you get what you pay for. Sadly you buy something used and you do so with certain risks – he plugged them both in and they spun quietly enough. Who knows – maybe it would have been fine. The one wetside was ok – the cracked magnet in the other one is still in one piece. The magnet is glued to a piece of metal (acts as a base – I guess that adds structural rigidity) and while it seemed that it would clunk a bit, it was solidly on the metal and spun for however long when he was running them. I was glad to get the newer technology at a discount so long after the warranty expired. I agree that the warranty should be longer and frankly I don’t know why they are so picky about only catering to the original buyer. They stuff has a solid reputation and has a strong re-seller market. Certain people will never buy used – they will get those customers by their reputation if the product is in the right price-point. But it’s not as if the used buyers will be compelled to buy new ones b/c the used ones are garbage. If that’s the case they’ll just go outside the brand. I’d see it as an opportunity to build brand loyalty. Then when the person upgrades (which will happen) you have a devoted customer who can’t imagine setting up a new system with a competitor’s equipment. To me the strong used market is huge for them and I think they should embrace it. Allow used buyers to register products just like new and offer (not warranty) but discounted – in the club type charges for factory service. It’s what they did for me and developed some customer loyalty – it just required me to manipulate their system a bit.