• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Newbie Light question

I am looking at the all glass 72 bowfront reef ready . They offer several choices in lighting . Can you tell me if its worth spending $200 on this lamp or should i save and invest in something else if i vere decide to do reef? Or they also have a basic strip light for $80 . I am planing on FOWLR for now but am sure in due time i will get the itch to go reef.So here is the link is this worth the $200

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/compact-fluorescent-8000k-full-spectrum-lamps.htm

I cannot comment on the fixture since I've never used it before- but if you hit the "enlarge" button on the pic - take a look at the bulbs - those are Compact Fluorescents...All CF's have the "bent-tube" shape. It affords the ability to produce a large amount of light in a small space.

Generally speaking there are 5 different types of lights used in the hobby:
1. VHO
2. PC aka compact fluorescents
3. MH
4. T5
5. LED

Any of the above will give you a suitable opportunity to have a mixed reef. Each has it's own limitations to a degree though.

Without going on and on - the choice you make needs to factor a couple things - heat, cost, and what types of corals you plan on keeping. If the plan is softies like mushrooms and xenia and such - then go for it. If the plan is acroporas and other stony corals - then you may want to save the money. This is just my opinion though.

Chuck_NJ said:
... I am planing on FOWLR for now but am sure in due time i will get the itch to go reef. ...

That's the key factor. The tank is going to be a FOWLR system. For a system like this all you need is enough light so the fish can see to eat. You could use a NO fluorescent light system, like they sell for FW tanks, or even a couple of shop light fixtures like they see at Home Depot and the like.

Usually when I'm talking about equipment, I recommend getting the best possible quality, and don't worry too much about the cost. This case is an exception. You don't need extraordinary lighting, so don't spent the money on it, at this time. If you want a reef later, then will be the time to go all out on the lighting.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with Dave. If your interests right now are FOWLR, just buy a HD fixture. I have a couple of these on freshwater tanks. You can do this for under 20 clams. If future interests are for corals, no big loss…and you have saved on bulb costs and electrical consumption…it pays for itself!

Chuck,

I am upgrading my lighting system this week to NovaExtreme Pro T5 and will have my old lighting sitting around. I will let it go cheap if you are interested. it is basic 4x64 that will fit 72g bowfront since it is on mine with legs. it is working fine on basic corals. let me know if interested.

rgds,

rafal

I know exactly where that is grew up very close to that area. Can you email me pics of your setup would love to see including the plumbing if possible ?

i don't have any pictures. just stop by one of those days. call me 973-699-1728. with the filter and skimmer --- be careful with the size. because of it is bowfront - not everything will fit.