• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Newbie Question – Night Lights ???

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This might be a dumb one from Dr. Ingorance! Have an OPEN DIY 2x4 stand with the refugium below the display. That is, no sides on the stand...wide open! When the fuge light is on at night, there’s a fair amount of light reflecting up to the display tank. Would this diffuse light have any negative impact on any of the second floor residents?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is the light coming from the bottom of the tank? If so, I'm not so sure that's good for the fish...Light coming from the ground isn't natural! lol

Seriously though, I could swear I remember reading about light coming in from unnatural angles causing stress on fish.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm thinking theres a sand bed and the light is reflecting off the walls.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The light is reflecting off the walls...but it’s enough light so that I can see the outline of the rocks and the fish swimming.

you're fine with the lights coming from the sides-

(I have no sand on my tank and when my sump light turns on, the feeeeshies have this eeerie glow on them from underneath, kinda like dracooola)

Although, I never thought of the stressing them out part, maybe I'll throw some aluminum foil underneath the tank again to reflect the light back up during the day.