• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Newbie questions

I am looking at a AGA 72 gal bowfront tank new. I found a deal in a local store in Conn. tank stand light $500 . The store suggested i go with a cartridge filter that was like $279 and he would set me up with t-5 bulbs and a heater for around a total of $1000 which seemed fair to me.

He gave me a AGA catalog and they listed tanks with the megaflow system its the sump filter that I see the majority of you are using. I am looking to do FOWLR do you think i should spend the extra for the drilled tank and sump or just go with the cartridge filter?

ask your self this? are you really gonna always want to have fowlr? how many bulbs in the t5 fixture, and if you are gonna use a non drilled tank, i like using a hob and a canister filter, then when you thouroughly clean one filter you still maintain a good quantity of undisturbed biological filtration... but the reef bug will probably get you.... i'm upgrading to a rr tank now, and wish i had always had one... i first swithed from freshwater with a non rr tank.

welcome to NJRC chuck! If you have a chance feel free to intro yourself over on one of the "new to the hobby threads".

I'm not sure what you mean by cartridge filter- but if I had the choice between getting a reef ready tank (pre-drilled) and one that required a HOB filter - I'd go with the reef ready.

So $1000 for 72 gallon tank, stand, T5 lights (it is a fixture I assume?), and some kind of cartridge filter (i assume overflow). Is that correct? if you are going FOWLR - why even bother with the T5s?

Honestly I bet for $1000 you might be able to get a fully stocked tank that someone is unloading...but then you'd have to inherit whatever set up the person had.

I currently have a 72g bow front, I got the tank because I thought it was nice to have the bow. If I was you I will go with a 75g and stay away from the bow front, is not much of a difference in size but it will be much easier to fit sumps and any other equipment underneath. I could really go on with a reasons for you not to get a bow front but is all up to you.

Buying a bow front was my NB mistake, some people really like them but I just wouldn't buy one again.

I agree I had spend a lot of time on the phone with one of your members justchad . I was going to buy his setup it seemed to be and still is a amazing deal for $1000. My problem is the size of his tank at 200 gals is way to big for the area i have. I wamm away this weekend in Conn and went to a petshop and saw this 72 gal bowfront its seems to be exactly the size i am looking for. I have been all over craiglist and cant come accross a setup yet that i like other then Justchads.

Thanks for the info I saw that and looks like a great deal . But i really like the bowfront in black. The stand i saw seemed to have a lot of room . You could not fit a sump in yours?

anything is possible!!! but because of the space that you loose at both sides limits you to the equipment that you could have underneath. I would have been happier if I was able to fit a 30g tank underneath so I could fit a bigger skimmer.

Currently I have 2x10g tank underneath my display tank.

what would you reccommend as far as equipment for this 72 gal bowfront. Please give brandnames you recommend. Lighting , heat , filtration ect

Thanks

If your only doing a FOWLR

Lighting: you should be fine a PC fixture of your choice. I like Current brand.
Heat: 300w heater
Skimmer: It all depends how much you want to spend on it, a good choice will be a Octopus. I think you should first sit down and figure out the layout of the sump before you look into a skimmer. "LIMITED SPACE"

I'm sure there is more things to add there but those are the basics

To be honest I've never purchase a sump I like building them myself. But if you could find anything that is 30"Lx12"W or 40"Lx10"W you should be fine.